Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with hydration page

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member

Trouble with hydration

Shop Now
    OK.. I have tried to deal with this on my own. I am at a loss and need some feedback before I go running to the doc's (which I hate doing) because I can not stand it.

For the past few weeks I have had a horrible thirst. Now before you go all.. well drink water etc. I do. In fact, I have been tracking my liquid intake to make sure. I easily drink a gallon+ liquids a day. I wake in the night so frickin parched I down a bottle of water. Its a miserable thirst.

To answer some unasked questions:
    I watch my salt intake, I am very sensative
    my meds have not changed ( I am on asthma meds and a water pill)
    before you say, its the water pill, my body has issues retaining water which makes no sense because I am so flippin thirsty.
    I do eat water foods (fruit and veggies.. well more fruit than veggies but working on that)
    I limit caffeine to am only between 5-7am mostly due to time, work blah blah blah
    I discount diabetes because I am LOSING weight (or rather have lost @ 50 pounds) and blood sugar is stable.

I have heard of dry mouth but really???? this sucks- literally!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    I have problems staying hydrated as well. My body can't seem to retain water, and anything I drink gets peed out within a few hours. If it gets bad enough, I start feeling light headed and dizzy.

I've been trying to INCREASE salt intake. The more salt (and other electrolytes) in your body, the more fluid your body can hold on to, and hopefully, for me, stay hydrated better. It's why Gatorade is so popular for hydrating athletes.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

ugh.. salt has made me swell for years.. then of course the scale gets ugly with me when that happens. I have been thirsty and swollen before so go figure that. I have had the lighheadedness a few times
    Karin

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    In another thread (sorry can't mind which one) someone mentioned that by going primal and removing a lot of the glucose that comes from grains also means it is harder to retain water.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    In another thread (sorry can't mind which one) someone mentioned that by going primal and removing a lot of the glucose that comes from grains also means it is harder to retain water.
    well crap! Now I have been primal for about 6 months.. though more strict- paleoish for the past month. So what is the solution? please tell me there is one.. I am fast becoming Princess Little Bladder.
    Karin

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You should see a doctor. Unquenchable thirst and weight loss is a symptom or type 1 diabetes. A gallon of water a day is appropriate if you are exercising in the desert.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

afroette is offline Member
    I find myself draining more quickly too but I must remind myself to drink water, unless I'm sweating which makes me thirsty.

ETA: Isn't the point of a water pill to eliminate all excess water in your body? I find that cold water quenches my thirst better as well as lemon in water.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

even if it took me 6 months to lose the weight?? I fought hard with those damn pounds LOL oh and I have not noticed blood sugar issues..
    Karin

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I would second the doctor but I tend to drink a lot of water as well so not as much of an issue for me. Doc - better safe than sorry.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Go see the doc - if only for peace of mind. As has been said, these could be symptoms of something much more serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast