Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any kind of a basis to a "gluten free = risk" argument? page

Liam is offline Member

Is there any kind of a basis to a "gluten free = risk" argument?

I just a read in a seemingly nonsensical CW article this: "Penny Dellsperger, a dietitian at Coeliac NSW, said there were significant medical risks to people adopting gluten free diets without first ascertaining whether they suffered coeliac disease."

Diets based on a grain of truth

Is there any kind of rational, evidence supported argument that gluten free can be risky? The only thing I can think of is replacing your grains with something just as bad or worse.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    That article is a bit airy-fairy. It mentions Celiac disease and it mentions that limiting gluten can help some other instances. They then give no reason for gluten being good for you....just the claim it is.
    I do agree with their point that if you are not Celiac and give up gluten and see improvements it is worth checking if there is some other problem just to be safe but that is not a reason to keep eating it.

Read Wheat Belly (and many other supportive studies) if you have any more questions about the effects of gluten...nasty stuff.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I read that and thought it was a very badly written article.
    So I pretty much ignored it.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    I actually thought that she might mean it was risky to assume that gluten was a problem when it might be something else causing the person's symptoms/issues. I didn't interpret what she said as meaning we have some physical need to eat gluten which would cause health problems for someone on a gluten free diet.

Did you read this?
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    My MIL, on advice from her doctor, eats gluten on weekends so she wont keel over and die if exposed to it by accident... *eye roll*

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    My MIL, on advice from her doctor, eats gluten on weekends so she wont keel over and die if exposed to it by accident... *eye roll*
    Please tell me she does not have actual Celiac disease......if she does, her doctor is slowly killing her.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    This article does bring up an interesting question. Has any study been done to isolate the effects of gluten verses all the other toxic crap in wheat? I'm not about to try it myself, but I'd love to read about someone who did a primal diet + seitan. We've established that primal + rice can work for some people, primal + fermented soy can be okay for some people with n=1 trials. Anyone still doing wheat-based cheat meals want to switch to pure gluten for a bit and tell me what happens?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sroelofs View Post
    Yeah, I read that and thought it was a very badly written article.
    So I pretty much ignored it.
    +1
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Traditional gluten-free diets that are rice-based are clearly associated with better health, e.g. Japanese, South-East Asian.

Gluten grains have traditionally been grown as a cheap source of calories to feed slaves/peasants/animals. Has the aristocracy ever eaten them in quantity, especially wholegrains? Nope.

That's all the evidence I would need, if I weren't obviously gluten intolerant.

A potential hazard is if one were forced to eat lots of gluten grains in the future due to hospitalization, living in a care home for the elderly etc. yes, it's possible that cutting out gluten could reduce tolerance. However, I'd opt for better health now.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That article does not provide one reason why avoiding gluten is a bad idea, as opposed to a possibly unneccessary idea. It acknowledges that medicine knows too little about non-celiac gluten intolerance, mentions some evidence that many people are helped by going gluten-free (including Djokovic!) even without a diagnosis of celiac.
    In other words, it makes no sense - it advocates that people NOT try gluten-free while providing no actual reasons to not try it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast