Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there any kind of a basis to a "gluten free = risk" argument? page 3

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    I've heard RDs on other sites (as well as my own doctor) say the same thing... "If you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease, there is no reason to avoid wheat gluten, and it may be harmful to avoid wheat."
    Well, I know I would test negative for celiac disease~ I also know that I get the God-awfullest outbreaks of eczema if/when I ingest more than a smidgen of grains. If the quality of my life (because chronic skin diseases are emotionally debilitating) isn't reason enough, then OMG, what is happening to my insides if my outsides are weeping mass of sores?

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    I've heard RDs on other sites (as well as my own doctor) say the same thing... "If you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease, there is no reason to avoid wheat gluten, and it may be harmful to avoid wheat." When I've asked WHY it is harmful, there is usually some stammering about how I will miss out on nutrients (which ones?).

So my response usually goes, "So you suggest I continue to eat something that I have proven is the cause of my migraines, IBS, numbness in extremities, anxiety, depression, and dermographism because I tested negative for celiac disease (twice)?" That's just cruel to suggest someone like me should eat wheat, because doctors cannot explain why I react the way I do to wheat. Nonsensical for sure.
    Ok, so we've ALL heard the stand-up comedy joke about the "patient" and the "doctor" which goes...

Patient: "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this..." (holding arm in some uncomfortable fashion)
    Doctor: "Well, then don't do that!"
    (Ba-dum-ching!)

One would think that eventually a REAL doctor with a lick of sense might respond to a patient saying that they feel like CRAP when they eat gluten with "Well, then don't eat gluten!"

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_1522 View Post
    Ok, so we've ALL heard the stand-up comedy joke about the "patient" and the "doctor" which goes...

Patient: "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this..." (holding arm in some uncomfortable fashion)
    Doctor: "Well, then don't do that!"
    (Ba-dum-ching!)

One would think that eventually a REAL doctor with a lick of sense might respond to a patient saying that they feel like CRAP when they eat gluten with "Well, then don't eat gluten!"
    But no~ there's a pill for that!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    I've heard RDs on other sites (as well as my own doctor) say the same thing... "If you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease, there is no reason to avoid wheat gluten, and it may be harmful to avoid wheat." When I've asked WHY it is harmful, there is usually some stammering about how I will miss out on nutrients (which ones?).

So my response usually goes, "So you suggest I continue to eat something that I have proven is the cause of my migraines, IBS, numbness in extremities, anxiety, depression, and dermographism because I tested negative for celiac disease (twice)?" That's just cruel to suggest someone like me should eat wheat, because doctors cannot explain why I react the way I do to wheat. Nonsensical for sure.
    My symptoms and sentiments precisely. But I at least have a doctor who knows and admits I am a highly gluten intolerant person. It's all grains - even rice upsets me now and I used to be able to eat it.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Especially when you consider that 95% of the established scientific communities work is based around government recommendations that were based on the work of Ancel Keys who cherry picked his data to support his flawed lipid hypothesis condemning a whole generation.
    Hahaha awesome.

Personally I think bad science should = jail time, or death penalty if > X number of deaths result from your bad science.

Ancel Keys slaughtered millions of homo sapiens. That's not that cool.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123