Thread: Trouble eating enough calories? page

bchanel is offline Member

Trouble eating enough calories?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am new to primal and transitioning into it. On the days I eat fully primal though, I have a hard time breaking 1,000 calories. Some days I am fine, other days I am still hungry, but am not sure what else to eat and am tempted to add in carve or dairy. I would like to lose about 30 pounds, so I try to keep the fruit and starches to a minimum. On days that I only eat 800 and feel fine, is that just my body adjusting? Maybe I'm still brainwashed by CW, but I think I should probably eat more. I try to balance every meal around protein, fruit/veggies and fat. Also, has anyone done a sugar detox while eating primal? What foods are off limits? Thanks!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I think you need to eat more, especially as you transistion. I aim for 1700-2200 kcals daily. I'm thinking of cutting that to a more consistent 1700-1800 now, as I have stalled and still want to lose more, but starting off low will only ensure your body thinks its starving. Later on you canIF and do all those things, but you have a better shot at succeeding if you don't walk around hungry!

Easiest way to up your calories: macadamia nuts and spoonfuls of coconut oil/butter. Primal bark containing both with dark chocolate is also an easy way to up calories. Fatty fish etc also makes for lots of cals with a ton of nutrition with it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The stuff you write doesn't sound like you are following the Primal Blueprint. Mark doesn't use words like "balance your meals" or "sugar detox".
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Some days include higher calorie amounts if you can.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    That's a tiny amount of food, just one meal for me, but you don't list your weight or how your weight loss is progressing. It's hard to say, but you should probably eat more.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

bchanel is offline Member
    Thanks for the input! I am currently 165, but would like to be in the 140s, 150s. The sugar detox I refer to is one I've seen on some "paleo" sites. I know it's not Primal Blueprint, but I think fully abstaining from sugar would be good for me and I was curious to see if anyone on here has done it. As far as balancing, I guess that's a good way for me to make sure I'm eating fat. I sometimes forget, as it has never been a staple in my diet.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Yes, just doing primal you are getting sugar detox as only eating whole foods and not processed
    , sugary junk. What do you typically eat during a day - eg of meals?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Add fat and oil to your food, that will up the calories very very quick.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by bchanel View Post
    Maybe I'm still brainwashed by CW, but I think I should probably eat more.
    this!

my experience with transitioning is that you feel pretty cruddy during so you crave sweets at some times and don't want to eat at others. If you stick with it, eating what you can primally then one day you'll wake up and be like HOLY SHIT I'M HUNGRY. Then you'll most likely go through a period of eating a ton of food, more than you thought possible because your body is finally getting what it actually needs. Then it will start leveling off. The important thing is to listen to your body (except for the part that tells you to eat bad carbs)
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Make a smoothie with 100ml of coconut cream, 150ml water, 30g natural whey protein and 50g frozen blueberries. Tablespoon of greek yoghurt optional. Should be around 360kcals with loads of protein, good fats, antioxidants and few carbs. have twice a day if you're feeling fruity, though once is possibly enough. Oh, and it tastes amazing.