Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mom heart attack at age 68 page

Issabeau is offline Senior Member

Mom heart attack at age 68

Primal Fuel
    So, here it is, my mother's first heart attack, got the phone call this morning.
    She has been cooking with Canola Oil her entire life (even while we were young kids 40+ years ago).
    She's been eating lots and lots of bread daily, with margarine spread (hydrogenated oils) and marmalades, sometimes fat-free cheese. She had coffee + white sugar daily, in evening tea + white sugar. Potatoes almost daily with meals.
    She's been on blood thinners, blood pressure meds and on/off cholesterol meds her entire life and nobody EVER told her a way to change this. Her triglycerides in her 30's and 40's were over 1000+.
    At age 50 she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (which she probably had long before diagnosed). On top of everything else now she has to give herself insulin shots several times daily.
    She had multiple veins pulled out of her legs.
    She's been in hte hospital 3x for her gallbladder, finally they forced her into surgery to take it out. 5 cherry sized stones have been found. Shortly after this she bumped her arm on the side of hte bed and it broke the bone (osteoporosis). She's lost 2 full inches of hieght over the last few years. She barely recovered from her broken bone (which barely healed and took a loooooong time) and there it is, her first heart attack at age 68.
    The doctors say her valve has been completely destroyed by 'sugar'.

And she continues to believe CW...cooking with Olive Oil now (still bad), eating low fat everything and using artificial sweeteners in her coffee/tea. And indulges into cake and cookies on B-days. She is cutting calories and is proud to be losing weight at age 68.......(she doesn't know it's bone and muscle).

And when my Dad talked to me on the phone he told me to shut my trap about "my pills and shit" and not drive my mother crazy. Uh, what pills ...?
    Talking about a specific nutrient isn't talking about pills, doh. He says she is in the BEST hands, at a special heart clinic in Germany...I don't know wether to cry or laugh, or slap someone,...but I guess the time has come where parents go. 2 uncles have already died last year, 1 of kidney cancer and the other of diabetes related problems (exhausted heart).

Some people just don't want to listen. My sister is on a wheat bread, lasagne, spaghetti and booze diet, she calls it italian.
    Last edited by Issabeau; 01-29-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I'm so sorry.

It's really hard to watch your family members kill themselves.

I've lost two cousins (under 50) to diabetes and my brother-in-law is on statins already (48.)

My mom is also 68 and I know that her arthritis would disappear if she would go Primal--but all my gentle educational efforts & sharing on FB have fallen on mostly deaf ears.

I'm really sorry about this

I know how you feel in a way, my husband with his 247 cholesterol and HORRIBLE diet blames me for not feeding him right. Sad part is, he's 17 yrs older than i am and we have very young children. What I will do with him is make him a nice protein shake and he'll love it and get into the whole idea. He goes nowhere from there but I see it as making some headway. Can you make a delicious dish for your mother primal style and take it to her? Don't even tell her it's about "pills and shit" see what she thinks, maybe give her a few recipes.
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry to hear about your Mum. It's so hard when you can see the mistakes they are making but are powerless to change things.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry it has come to this. You can only tell her so many times, at the end of the day it's her life, and if she's not willing to take your advice, welll... These things happen.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootbaby View Post
    Can you make a delicious dish for your mother primal style and take it to her? Don't even tell her it's about "pills and shit" see what she thinks, maybe give her a few recipes.
    Maybe even go so far as to not even mention the diet - just offer to make her some meals. Don't mention the fat content or anything. If she asks, just say it's made with whole, fresh foods.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    It's tragic that most folk entrust their health to the medical profession's official line. Anyone who has discovered the truth knows it's misplaced faith and humility on their part ... if you can bring these folk around then you are a greater god.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member
    I feel your frustration! Being at the age where our parents health fail is hard especially when we are so enthusiastic about our own health and wellness. My mother has Lewy Body Disease/Alzheimer's and although she is far from overweight she has elevated fasting blood sugars and high cholesterol.
    The recent PET Scan of her brain is amazing....it's like diabetes of the brain! She loves her sweets! I can't really preach to her as it is beyond her level of comprehension and she doesn't make her own food anymore, my dad does! My dad is so consumed with "whatever makes her happy" he treats her to sugared coffee drinks and scones regularly along with a steady diet of grilled cheese sandwiches with "baked" chips and diet coke. Anyways, I can appreciate your post.......

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Before I knew about Primal, mom basically ate herself to death. Type 2 Diabetes, uncontrolled eating, 225 pounds, had a stroke, lingered four months.

I know your frustration.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast