Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started exercising --> gained 8 pounds?! page

Started exercising --> gained 8 pounds?!

Shop Now
    Hi there!

I guess the title says it all. I started exercising for the first time in my life two weeks ago. I was at 137ish. As of this morning I'm 145ish. Now I know the scale can be evil but even my measurements are bigger.
    I eat primal almost strictly. I do have cheese on a daily basis but no more than an ounce or two and its good organic cheese. Some of my fruits and veggies are local grown, some store bought and some organic. My meat is another thing. I try to get the good stuff but I have a husband who bitches at me til the cows come home (teehee.) Our seafood is almost always local. I have a weak spot for unrefined coconut oil, whey protein, unsweetened chocolate and olive oil. I don't eat many nuts. I do indulge in fruit. Sometimes 4 times a day.
    So that's my food breakdown now for the exercise. I practice hot yoga at least three times per week because I'm shamelessly addicted. Since I started that I can't sit still. The exercise + primal eating woke up my toddler-on-speed genes. So I try to walk instead of drive places. Even when I have to drive somewhere I'll park up to a mile away from my destination. Sometimes my energy is still going so I take my children to the playground and chase them around. I'm worried about that because at a certain time of the night I'm just done. I'm so done I could pass out at 8pm. I don't mean to over exert myself, I'm genuinely having alot of fun.
    I went from being sedentary to moving ALL OF THE TIME. Could it be the shock to my body? Is it confused and scared thus retaining a buttload of water? Any insight would help! (I don't want to buy new clothes in the sad direction)
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Too much fruit is a possibility, as is the cheese. It doesn't matter if it's good organic stuff - it's still dairy and a LOT of people have a hard time losing weight when it's a regular part of their diet(no matter how little, every day is a regular/staple in your diet). Whey protein is not like muscle meat protein, it acts like a sugar, because it's not in it's natural form. It's absorbed too quickly by the body(unnatural) and may be having a negative effect on you.

Cut down the fruit to 1-2 servings and the cheese to maybe 2x a week and try that for 2 - 4 weeks. See if there's a speed up in your weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Whey protein is not like muscle meat protein, it acts like a sugar, because it's not in it's natural form. It's absorbed too quickly by the body(unnatural) and may be having a negative effect on you.
    Very good to know thanks so much

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Just be aware that fruit can be pretty high in carbohydrate. Primal is a lot more than low carb, I realize, but one banana can be 20-25g carbs.
    If you're having 4 pieces of fruit a day that could be a factor. In Mark's recent post about doing a second edition of The Primal Blueprint book he mentioned an emphasis on moderate fruit consumption.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    what does the mirror tell you?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Gaining weight when exercising is pretty common. It can be a bit of a balancing act.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    what does the mirror tell you?
    Haha what a question. It tells me I'm flabby but my husband and mother say different etc. etc. body image brain fry

I'm starting to realize that exercise is a tricky bastard. I refuse to stop though because honestly, it's just fun. I actually look forward to it. I never thought I'd say that ever. I wasn't a couch potato, I was a bed potato.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I'd 2nd Mike's advice on fruit consumption, but also might be worth looking at total calorie consumption as well. It's really easy when eating Primal to over eat, especially things as nutritionally dense as coconut oil, olive oil, chocolate, cheese etc. It might be worth tracking your calorie and macro nutrient intake on Fitday or similar. I know it's boring, but you'd only have to do it for about 2 weeks and then you'd get a pretty clear picture of what you're eating. We know what you're eating, but how much is hard to assess from your original post. Also, look at protein/fat/carb intake. Aim for around 120g/100g/80g for weight loss as you're pretty active. And I'd say around 1300-1500 calories should be your maximum daily intake, assuming you're average height. Less would accelerate weight loss but I wouldn't recommend it with your high level of activity.
    And finally, don't forget weight loss is a slow and steady process. Weight may fluctuate on a weekly basis. Whilst you should check your weight weekly for motivation, don't assume something isn't working until you've given it at least a month. Exercise is a funny thing, 8lbs gain in 2 weeks seems very high, and unlikely to be gained as fat in such a short space of time. I wouldn't worry about it too much, although I'm sure it's frustrating! Body composition can be very different between 2 people the same weight and height, depending on body fat to muscle ratio. Do you really look 8lbs heavier than 2 weeks ago? I doubt it.
    In summary, relax, give it time, have a plan and a really clear picture of what you eat. If you're losing 1lb a week you're doing it right.
    Stick with it, give it your best shot and keep it primal,
    You can do it!

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Forget the scales, keep eating clean and exercising and you will FEEL the difference.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Johnparkers is offline Junior Member
    it depends on your body and your diet. Many people experience it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast