Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started exercising --> gained 8 pounds?! page 2

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well let's look at the obvious:
    1. Working out for a short period caused 8 pounds of muscle gain. nope
    2. Working out for a short period caused 8 pounds of fat gain. nope
    3. Ate in excess of maintenance combined with water weight resulted in 8 pound gain. more than likely.

You need to figure out how much you are eating. I know everyone on here talks about "just eat" and everything else falls into place. Well, honestly, you can over eat easily especially if you started working out. I can easily eat 1800-2000 calories after a workout. People will have all kinds of theories but in reality it boils down to how much you ate this/that week. Dairy doesn't inhibit fast loss nor does fruit nor does whey protein; eating in excess will.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    And I'd say around 1300-1500 calories should be your maximum daily intake, assuming you're average height. Less would accelerate weight loss but I wouldn't recommend it with your high level of activity.
    I agree with some of what EIO says, but also disagree. I've always found it hard to over eat on primal, in fact I've had to make a concious effort to eat enough as I often don't feel hungry.

I'd be concerned that his calorie recommendation is on the low side.

Personally I'd say don't worry about tracking/counting calories. Be patient. Eat real food. Don't eat if you're not hungry, eat if you're truly hungry and not just fancy picking on something

How do you look, feel and perform? You sound like you're feeling good and have lots of energy, so that's good. Could be that you've put on a little muscle... As others have said, ditch the scales as you'll fixate on that number and while you may lose body fat at the same time as putting on muscle you'll just see the numbers going up

I agree with this though:
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    And finally, don't forget weight loss is a slow and steady process. Weight may fluctuate on a weekly basis. Whilst you should check your weight weekly for motivation, don't assume something isn't working until you've given it at least a month. Exercise is a funny thing, 8lbs gain in 2 weeks seems very high, and unlikely to be gained as fat in such a short space of time. I wouldn't worry about it too much, although I'm sure it's frustrating! Body composition can be very different between 2 people the same weight and height, depending on body fat to muscle ratio. Do you really look 8lbs heavier than 2 weeks ago? I doubt it.
    In summary, relax, give it time, have a plan and a really clear picture of what you eat. If you're losing 1lb a week you're doing it right.
    Stick with it, give it your best shot and keep it primal,
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Take photos of yourself front, back and side. Repeat every few months and you will see how your body changes.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I woke up to a 3 lb loss today. The only thing I did differently was I cut down on the oranges and I stopped exercising due to illness. I guess my body needed some recovery time.

Thanks for all of the useful input though I will definitely keep all of it in mind. That 1300-1500 calorie range scares me however!
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootbaby View Post
    Thanks for all of the useful input though I will definitely keep all of it in mind. That 1300-1500 calorie range scares me however!
    My point is that you shouldn't be scared of something if you don't know what it is. Does it scare you because you have the CW 2000Kcal average recommendation flowing through your mind? A recommendation that states around two-thirds of this should come from starchy carbohydrates and whole grains, with around 34g protein and 80g of fat? Ask yourself what's scarier, a 1500kcal diet of primal foods or a 2000kcal diet of the same foods plus 500kcal of bread and pasta?
    I know the primal lifestyle is often cited as "no need to count calories", which I agree with to a certain extent, but Mark himself writes that when he started eating primally, he naturally ate around 600Kcal less a day. He wouldn't know this if he never sat down and worked it out.
    Throughout the forums you'll find many people who say they find it impossible to overeat primally, and many who say they find it easy to overeat. The reasons are:
    1) they are all different shapes and sizes. A 300lb man might find it hard to over eat, whilst a 120lb woman might find it easy to overeat. Peoples requirements vary dramatically.
    2) Not all primal foods are created equally. I'm a 150lb man looking to gain weight and bulk up. I can eat a 400kcal steak and feel full for hours. I can eat the same amount of calories in coconut oil (5 desertspoons) and I'm ready to eat 5 minutes later. So I could eat both the steak and the oil and it'd affect my hunger in exactly the same way as just eating the steak. Great for me, but not great for someone looking to lose weight.
    I struggle to get to 2000 calories eating primally, let alone the 3000 I need to gain weight. I eat 3 500kcal meals a day and I'm stuffed. It's only because I force down 2 650kcal primal protein shakes each day that I get anywhere near my target.

Here's an example of a 1500kcal daily diet:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, fried in butter, 1 grilled tomato, 2 slices of bacon, spinach 400kcal
    Lunch: Homemade pumpkin soup, salad of 80g tuna, lettuce, peppers, cucumber, carrot. olive oil, lemon juice and black pepper dressing 350kcal
    Dinner: Steak, mushrooms, green beans and cherry tomatoes, cooked in butter 400kcal

Snacks
    2 squares of Lindt 85% chocolate 110kcals, spoon of coconut oil 80kcal, some macadamias and berries, or cheese if you must! 150kcal, half a banana (gasp!) 50kcal

If that amount of food seems scarily little to you, then so be it. For me, it's enough to drive my relatively active frame for a day without feeling hungry at any point.
    Some people may recommend reducing carby fruits and veg to lose weight. For me, the PB is all about optimal health, not losing weight, although the 2 can go hand in hand. Your body needs the nutrients from fruit and veg, so get them in.
    Fernaldo's reply earlier in this thread made total sense, you don't lose weight on a calorie surplus whatever you're eating. So size it up, find out what works for you and trust the experience over the "experts" every time.
    As for the exercise, you're probably finding the weight is starting to drop off again now, as you've indicated already. Keep at it, together with eating (sensibly) primal, and I'm sure you'll achieve your goals. Good luck!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Regular weigh-ins generally cause nothing but misery. Pay more attention to how you look and feel and weigh yourself infrequently.

LolaLola is offline Member
    I'm another recent convert to exercise. It's like a light switch has been turned on in my mind. Fir the first few weeks that I was exercising my weight went up & I couldn't understand it. Quite honestly my appetite is slightly higher than it was & my calorie intake did go up for a few weeks. When I counted calories I was surprised that although it was Primal it was fairly high in calories. This seems to have all balanced itself out again though - my appetite has lessened again, even though I have kept up the exercise & my calorie intake has dropped down naturally. And interestingly the weight gain & more has gone and I'm losing weight well again. Maybe any change to the status quo that the body is used to results in unexplainable results?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12