Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do women have fewer goal reps than men? page

Amica is offline Member

Why do women have fewer goal reps than men?

Primal Fuel
    In the Primal Fitness plan, women have fewer goal reps than men for pushups, pull-ups, and overhead press. I was just wondering why this is? Obviously, doing a bunch of pushups is generally easier for men. But why is a woman supposed to move up to pushups when she can only do 25 incline pushups, but a man is has to be able to do 50? Is developing endurance more important for men?

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I think it probably just has the general flow of pretty much every fitness program ever. Women, being built the way we are are generally less muscular then the men. So we work at lower weights or reps or we have a longer time period to do a given exercise. It makes sense if you think about the amount of muscle a guy generally can build, he has more muscle to use to do the push up and therefore should get tired less easily because there is more muscle sharing the work.

Anyway. Thats what I think.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    For the same reason virtually every sport separates the genders.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Don't men have great upper body strength while women have greater lower body strength, just by construction? Plus, then you also have the ability of men to built muscle quicker than women, for the most part, due to hormones. Then you also have things like different centers of gravity, generally different average weights, etc. I think it's based on physiological differences.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Don't men have great upper body strength while women have greater lower body strength, just by construction? Plus, then you also have the ability of men to built muscle quicker than women, for the most part, due to hormones. Then you also have things like different centers of gravity, generally different average weights, etc. I think it's based on physiological differences.
    Women have proportionately greater lower body strength than upper body. Men have more strength, upper and lower body, than women, due to physiological differences and hormones, among other factors.

Relosa is offline Member
    There's nothing stopping you from doing the amount of reps that men do...

Amica is offline Member
    Yeah, I understand that I don't have to do the program as prescribed. I just want to understand why Mark recommends what he does.

Sure, men are naturally more muscular than women, and pushups are easier for a fit man than for a fit woman. But that shouldn't matter--the point is to improve your own strength without worrying about what other people can do, so there's no need to level the playing field by making men do more pushups.

Let's say you have a man who can do exactly 25 incline pushups, and a woman who can do the same. According to Mark's plan, the woman should move up to full pushups, but the man has to keep doing incline pushups until he can do 50. It seems to me that the plan puts a greater emphasis on endurance for men, while for women, it emphasizes power over endurance. What's the reasoning behind that?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the PB fitness plan is really designed to stand up to this level of scrutiny. It's just a basic plan to get you doing hard stuff. If you feel slighted by the soft bigotry of low expectations (sorry, couldn't resist), then grow a pair (sorry, couldn't resist) and do the man workout.

Don't mind me, I'm in a snarky mood tonight. Need to get off the computer.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Amica is offline Member
    I have no problem with a fitness plan acknowledging basic biological sex differences! I was only wondering if there is a good reason behind it.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Probably more about attainable goals for progression than anything else. I have been on many much more complex plans over the past 25 years than PBF. I enjoy doing PBF now because I can throw away my log book. and when I am consistantly hitting a benchmark progress. Have to order a reallly heavy vest soon.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast