Thread: Too Much Sleep? page

tabby is offline Junior Member

Too Much Sleep?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is there a point of diminishing returns? Everyone is different, however, is there scientific evidence of excessive sleep leading to poor physical and cognitive performance? Personally, I average 9.5 hours of sleep in the winter months, and 8 in the spring and summer. I feel much more energized during seasons of less sleep, however, I think it is just a correlation since I prefer those seasons. Has anyone ever felt like they were less energized/flat when they overslept? Any sleep hygiene recommendations for too much sleep?
    -Steve

jammies is offline Senior Member
    There is actually data showing that people who sleep too much have a shorter lifespan. I am sure that is a selection bias though - people with poor health and chronic illnesses tend to sleep more. When my autoimmune arthritis was at it's worst I could easily sleep for 17 hours per day. I can't remember where the cut-off was though for health- maybe at 10 hours? I'll see if I can find the paper.

I can feel pretty crappy if I get too little or too much sleep. Do you change your bedtime at all in the winter months? Or get less exercise?

What about vitamin D3? If you are not getting sunlight during the winter you may have a D deficiency which will cause fatigue.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I find sleep to be an oddity.
    I can cope on little sleep - just enough to function a day at work, get home, crash, force myself to make food, which then wakes me up, so I get to bed even later.....
    Or if I sleep too long I am groggy and woozy all day.
    Somewhere in between is a "sweet spot" - but I also struggle dropping off to sleep. I'm infinitely better if woken up by the sun, and couldn't cope with my fake-sunrise alarm clock.

Interestingly, if I'm on-track with eating, stress etc, I can wake up and pop out of bed no problem. If I'm off track, I can literally loiter in bed for over an hour trying to psyche myself up to crawl out. Cue running for the bus with wet hair...! :O

I wonder if you sleep longer because you're not feeling so good, rather than the other way round?

tabby is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the posts (Jammie's and NorthernMonkeyGiirl). If you have an I Phone, you can try an interesting app called Sleep Cycle. It serves as a gentle 30 minute phase in alarm clock. What I find most interesting however, is it tracks different states of sleep with a graphic record based on your movements in the bed. The premise is that it is best to wake up in the lightest state of sleep in order to feel best each day. The iPhones have an accelerometer to determine which state you are in (based on movement). Obviously, this is far from scientific, but the premise is interesting. Thoughts?
    -Steve

joej627 is offline Member
    I usually find that if you are on track with everything your body will tell you what it needs. There is no reason to wake yourself up super early if you don't have to. My sleep cycles are the biggest factors. For instance, i wake up with the sun usually around 6:30-7 every morning. If i go to bed at 10, i wake up at 6:30. If i go to bed at midnight, i wake up at 6:30. I think finding your own natural healthy rhythm is the best way to go.

Johnparkers is offline Junior Member
    yes definitely if you oversleep even for one day you feel more fresh and energetic

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    Thanks for the posts (Jammie's and NorthernMonkeyGiirl). If you have an I Phone, you can try an interesting app called Sleep Cycle. It serves as a gentle 30 minute phase in alarm clock. What I find most interesting however, is it tracks different states of sleep with a graphic record based on your movements in the bed. The premise is that it is best to wake up in the lightest state of sleep in order to feel best each day. The iPhones have an accelerometer to determine which state you are in (based on movement). Obviously, this is far from scientific, but the premise is interesting. Thoughts?
    I downloaded this app last night and used to wake this morning. I have to say, it was much, much nicer to wake up. I'm not sure if it was coincidence or not, but I was able to get up right with my alarm and felt much better this morning.

I had a very hard time falling asleep last night and when I checked the sleep readout this morning it did show me as "awake" until about 1:45 am which is about right.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html