Thread: Purging my kitchen for the 21 day trans and have a question page

fidens is offline Junior Member

Purging my kitchen for the 21 day trans and have a question

Primal Fuel
    So, today I poured myself a goodbye (at least for the next month) glass of my favourite beer to carbs. I'm doing my kitchen and pantry purge right now (well I'm taking a break to write this post). My question is this, I have Crystal Light 2qt powdered pouches that says it has 0 carbs. I like to use water additives like mio (not the energy one, the original) and sugar free things like Crystal Light to add flavour to my water to help keep me from drinking pop lol.

Anyway, in the 21 Day Transformation book, he says get rid of ALL forms of powdered drink enchantments. I'm keeping my protein powder for after the 21 days because I'm taking a break from training for a marathon to do this (I have plenty of time) and after I start training again I'm going to want a little bit of a carb hit after my longer runs. My plan is to follow the 80/20 philosophy, but for this first 21 days I want to go all in and see how I feel at the end of the month.

Should I get rid of my mio and Crystal Light? Or is it safe to spike my water for flavour to keep from going bland?

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Those things are full of artificial color, flavor and sugar substitutes. Depending on which sugar substitute they range from bad to worse. Neuroexcitatory proteins, ant poison etc. Google aspartame, Splenda etc. if you have a problem with ants in your garden or pantry use the Splenda stuff as bait. That was how it was discovered, and it works.

Here is what I replaced mine with:

San Pelligrino or Gerolsteiner, plus planted a lime and lemon tree. If those are not feasible buy lemons and limes, LOL.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    You are missing the point. The point is to get rid of your "need"/taste for that stuff. Keep drinking it and there's a higher chance you'll revert back to eating crap. The point is to get used to drinking water, which is all you need.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Trust me, as someone who ditched sugared drinks cold turkey a couple years ago, after a couple weeks/months of drinking water, you will not miss soda much. And when you taste it again it won't be that great. It'll just taste like sugar. This coming from someone who wouldn't even drink plain water until they were in their 20s (Yeah, I know).

You want to retrain your body to see plain water as the stuff you drink when you're thirsty and sweet drinks as treats (just like sweet everything else).

I promise, after long enough not drinking that stuff you won't miss it. Every time I go to a restaurant now I just have water, because that's actually what I want to drink.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 01-30-2012 at 06:49 AM.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

GoozerGrok is offline Junior Member
    I haven't had anything but water, tea or coffee (small amounts, just can't let it go!) since December 27th. I've discovered there are so many natural ways to liven up water!

Sliced fresh cucumbers and a sprig of mint
    Strawberries (gently squished) and a lime wedge
    Lemon and sliced ginger
    List can be as long as you want to make it...! I use different spices, veggies, and fruit...

Get creative and have a blast!

LeaB is offline Member
    @goozergrok great ideas for water!

I am actually one of those that really crave water - just plain water- so it never occurs to me to put anything in it, but it would be nice to have a little variety once and a while, and maybe to serve to guests as another alternative.

Years ago I was a total Diet Coke addict, (I am talking 6-8 cans a day-so gross!!) I know it's addictive but it can be done and eventually you will wonder how you ever drank the stuff (by that I mean any of that artificial sweetener).

plain water is really the only thing that quenches thirst in my opinion.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Go ahead and save it, but don't drink it during your 21 day transformation project. Your tastes will change during that time and then you can decide if it's worth keeping.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaB View Post
    Years ago I was a total Diet Coke addict, (I am talking 6-8 cans a day-so gross!!)
    My best friend is like that. She's an addict, completely hooked. And she says things like "Oh, artificial sweeteners make me nervous, I won't use them. .....Oh, I mean, aside from Diet Coke." How can anyone have that kind of disconnect? I don't really get it.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Pigevil is offline Member
    Crystal light and other powdered artificial water enhancers contain nothing but chemicals and poisons. They contain among others, malodextrin, aspartame, red 40, artificial flavors (WHO KNOW WHAT THAT IS) acesulfame potassium, BHA, preservatives, etc. It would be better to prepare fresh lemonade with fresh squeezed organic lemons/limes and bioactive raw honey if you want a little bit of a sweet taste once in a while. We usually drink mineral water and put lime or lemons if we want some flavor. But we just like plain water.

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    You are missing the point. The point is to get rid of your "need"/taste for that stuff. Keep drinking it and there's a higher chance you'll revert back to eating crap. The point is to get used to drinking water, which is all you need.
    I see no issue with mineral water with a twist of organic lemon or lime. Our water here tastes awesome, I drink lots of it during the day, and often bring it along with me. I just sometimes want something a bit uplifting, and mineral water hits the spot.