Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often you do the '5 essential movements' workout per week? page

MrRoberts is offline Member

How often you do the '5 essential movements' workout per week?

Primal Fuel
    Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 167lbs (153lbs LBW)
    Body-fat: 7.5%

I noticed I didn't get any stronger or able to do more reps doing the '5 essential movements' if I rested 48 hours (2 days) between workout.

I progressively get stronger and do more reps every 3/4 days between workout.

Is that an age factor or just basically my diet?

I eat 1gm of protein per pound of body weight and I average 50 to 75gm of natural carbs a day with fat being 60% of my diet.

I eat protein after workout without any carbs since I only do it within 30 to 45 minutes.

How about you guys? How often you do the '5 essential movements' per week?
    Last edited by MrRoberts; 01-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you have worked out what your body needs. Everyone recovers differently the important thing is to listen to your body.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    recovery time is different for everyone. i think that a lot of people don't give it enough time, and you have to remember that you only improve when you're recovering from the workout, not by breaking down the muscle in and of itself.

i lift weights monday and thursday, and hike on saturday. i'm very happy with my progress. monday is always leg day and thursdays alternate between chest & back one week, and shoulders and arms the next.

what's interesting is that chest and back only get worked out directly once every two week, like this. the arms and shoulders day is likely more of a vanity issue, but i don't really care, i love this training split! gym time totals between 60 and 90 minutes a week, and i can get my hike in on saturdays.

Thank for sharing your program and the frequency of your training.

I am curious to see how often other PB members workout and what are their age?

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    After training you not only have to recover from the workout on a muscular and systemic level, but then there is a time period where the actual adaptation takes place i.e. new growth. If you train before this process is complete you short circuit the whole thing. Most people are compromising their gains by training too soon and too often. In your case you found zero progress with 48 hours in between workouts. You clearly were not even done the recovery phase. I have found about once a week to work very well. The numbers go up each and every workout. Sometimes its more than a week with all of life's commitments etc. As to age I am 46. But this protocol worked very well 15 years ago too.

*sigh*... I guess I have to realise that I'm 42 and allow myself more recovery time. I'll try the '5 basic essential movements' workout once a week to see if I am making any gains.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoberts View Post
    *sigh*... I guess I have to realise that I'm 42 and allow myself more recovery time. I'll try the '5 basic essential movements' workout once a week to see if I am making any gains.
    This is not a bad thing!! Your goal is to stimulate muscular growth. Nothing more, nothing less. Spend the other days doing lots of other things. I do sprints about once a week or less. When I feel really good. Other than that and the weight training, I take walks, leisurely bike rides , in warmer weather I swim, kayak, hike and just move about in general. That is it! I feel great almost everyday. I bounce out of bed in the morning like a kid would. I can handle any functional lifting or stress that may come my way in life quite easily. Isn't this the goal? To feel good and energetic so that life is enjoyable and youth is extended? Is for me. Working out is a means to an end. Don't make it the end. It'll eventually leave you feeling very empty in many ways. To enjoy it is great! I do for sure. But it's a tool in my arsenal.

What I do is very sustainable over the long haul and that is so important. Nobody can keep up extremes indefinitely. A little bit on occasion, no problem. It's good for us. The majority of what you do should be based on being able to do it consistently without much thought or anxiety.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I do them twice a week (Tuesdays and Fridays). Sometimes I think about adding a third day a week, targeting my core and building up extra core strength (probably through Pilates or some other program that's more gentle strengthening), but I haven't made a decision on that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    I do them twice a week (Tuesdays and Fridays). Sometimes I think about adding a third day a week, targeting my core and building up extra core strength (probably through Pilates or some other program that's more gentle strengthening), but I haven't made a decision on that yet.
    Lexie, are you going up in reps and or weights every workout with the twice weekly protocol?

Lexie, when I was in my twenties and early thirties, I was able to lift heavy twice a week and if it got easier I would make it more challenging instead of adding another day of training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast