Thread: drinking lemon water everyday?? page

nitsy is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

i have been drinking lemon water everyday for roughly over 3 years, now my understanding of doing this was it is great for immune system (agree as my health has improved thus i wont stop) and great for weight loss (havent really noticed it)... toban has kidly provided notes on Good Calories & Bad Calories, in which i found that with in the body the carbs are burnt first and then fat.

My question - i drink a lemon a day diluted in roughly 2 litres of water, so throughout the days am i burning mainly carbs and not fat? I am really confused... am i getting my wires crossed? Can any one with some knowledge help me out here? any one shed some light on drinking lemon daily also?

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

At rest, or very light exertion levels, your body will burn almost exclusively fat for fuel. Even if it were true that your body burned any existing carb first, a whole lemon probably has about 5g carbs if you ate the entire fruit. Your body will burn nearly 100 calories at rest. If you divide that lemon water out over 12 hours, you have about 1.5 calories per hour of carb being ingested through lemon water. Even if you did burn the carb first you can see it would make no difference.

Nothing to worry about. Enjoy the lemon water, it's not hurting your fat burning in any way.

nitsy is offline Junior Member

Get primal... that is excellent news as i was never going to quit the sweet juicy nectar! my addiction to lemon is like a junkie's to dope (probably an exaggeration)

Thanks for you help... much appreciated!!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

No idea on the carbs, but just keep an eye on any effect the acidity might have on your teeth

gregandbeaker is offline Junior Member

Interesting. I put some lemon juice in my water because I have read that it helps your body return to a net-alkaline balance after eating acidic foods.

Double-A is offline Junior Member

I used to squeeze a lemon into a tall glass of hot water in the morning, a couple of times a week.

It was something I picked up during my vegan-days as a dietary "tonic" - honestly, I think it helped me with digesting all the crap I was eating, and I found it to be a very pleasant way to start the day.

Zophie is offline Senior Member

I do the lemon thing too. =) I started after reading Eat right for your blood type. It says that for type A people the lemon water alkalizes the body and keeps you from getting sick. So far it works well for me.

NorthernMonkey has a good point about the teeth enamel. Make sure to brush just in case.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

brushing right after eating something acidic is more harmful to your teeth than waiting a while, THEN brushing.

I've eaten tons of lemon juice my whole life (in water, salad dressings, hollandaise sauce, gravies, etc) as well as lots of tomato and tomato juice... all very acidic. Dentist has never said anything about enamel issues for me. But I've never run to the bathroom and brushed right after eating lemony/tomatoey things...

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.