Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with squat form page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

Help with squat form

I've been doing a lot of air squats lately and I just can't seem to get my form right. When I watch the video on the crossfit website I can see that they are keeping their backs straight and upright when they squat, but I seem to lean way forward when I squat. My back is still straight, but I'm not in an upright position. It's like I'm bending at my waist AND at my hips. I've tried holding my arms up, out to the sides, and straight in front of me, but none of that has helped. When I try to stay upright during the squat I can feel some tightness in my lower back, but I'm paranoid about injuring myself and I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen.

One problem that I do have is a pretty significant Diastasis Recti from pregnancy. My husband wonders if I can't keep correct form because my ab muscles are weak from the Diastasis Recti. I'm getting this fixed with surgery in March, but I don't want to have to stop doing squats until then. How can I keep my upper half from leaning forward when I squat? And would my Diastasis Recti make my ab muscles too weak to keep the correct form?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    You need a lot of mobility and flexibility to squat. Try practising with body-weight squats. You can put a broom handle on your back or hold it above your head to help you stretch out. There are a lot of resources to improve mobility and flexibility in the squat including this site. I have also been reading Gray Cook's book and he has a lot of functional moves to improve body balance and exercise performance.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    I have a hard time because the backs of my heels aren't very flexible yet. Avoiding shoes with heels in everyday life and squatting with your heels lifted, like with your heels on weight plates, can help you get your weight in your heels, which might help with the other stuff.
    Last edited by elainevdw; 01-29-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

I tried holding a broom over my head and it helped a lot, I can definitely feel it. I wasn't able to do nearly as many squats, but at least I'm doing them with better form. I'm still leaning forward a bit, but not nearly as much. I'll try elevating my heals also to see if that helps. I started to be a little obsessive about form when I exercise lately because If I'm going to do something I want to make sure I'm doing it right!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    leaning forward, assuming your back is straight, isn't necessarily a problem at this point. that natural curve to your spine must remain, it's good that you know that. but when you're doing air squats, you really want to focus on initiating the movement with your hips, i.e. "ass back" first. you can almost think of it as 'pulling' your body back and down into the squat, leading with your ass. don't start with your knees, that's the key.

hip mobility and ankle mobility are what needs to be developed in the beginning. hell, throughout your squatting career!

also, i would try goblet squats before overhead squats, if you're trying to perfect your form.
    Last edited by jakey; 01-29-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: punctuation

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    I'm struggling with this as well. Someone had mentioned to stand a foot away from a wall, put your palms flat against the wall and up high, and squat down without letting your hands leave the wall, that should be good form i'm told.

I've been trying the broom handle thing but I struggle to keep it vertical above my head after shoulder surgery which restricts me moving my arm back too far.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Back angle has everything to due with loaded squats. If you are just doing air/unloaded squats, you aren't going to injure yourself (or i should say it's unlikely). If you are practicing form for a specific type of loaded squat, then you need to worry about back angle.

It's all about load/middle of foot alignment. (tracking vertically)..

Angle
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 01-30-2012 at 04:09 PM.

I'm just wanting to do the squat correctly so that I get the most out of the movement. I saw that the girls on the crossfit video had their back straight and in an upright position and I lean over a lot so I thought I'd try to do the squat the way they do, which I assumed was the correct way. I'm not trying to get into competitions or anything lol. I guess I'm just a bit of a perfectionist.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Again, correct position for what? In crossfit, they are going to be doing barbell squats, and depending on front, high or low back, they will have a different back position. Back position only really matters when you have a barbell in your hands.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe you could try to place more weight on your heels. I know Westerners squat on the balls of their feet, but the Asian squat is based on the heel. Practice walking around with your toes off the ground and on your heel maybe? Also, I second the person who said that hip and ankle flexibility makes up a lot of it. Good for you for trying those overhead squats - they're the best for helping you mobilize those areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast