Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing Help page

ecks is offline Senior Member

Needing Help

Primal Fuel
    I'm getting frustrated and slightly upset... 1LB... Weight came off so easily when I started in november and it seems that since including more activity my success has started to plummet. Now I don't over do it, 2 workouts a week (swimming and dodgeball... though dodgeball was canceled this week and replaced with 100 airsquats for time... still recovering from that) and I get 2-3 hours of moving slowly (read:walking) a week (usually around markets, malls etc... it's bloody cold outside still) and I'm barely making progress. It is a pound off which means I'm still moving in the right direction but I mean this is just annoying... Discouraging even (though I refuse to quit)... I eat well, sleep well, and feel noticeably accomplished after a workout and yet at the end of the week I'm stuck with a 1LB drop... For a 298LB man that's just not acceptable... and that's following a plateau week.

Of course this thread would be moot without a link to my primal journal for more info:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46097.html

Ideas as to what can be changed?
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Grizz is offline Banned
    Sorry,

But you CANNOT snack between meals. Snacking disrupts your liver and your metabolism. Your liver is designed to store energy from your meals and then release energy slowly between meals. NO SNACKING!

I suggest that you go on the Leptin Reset Diet. Very simple & easy rules to follow.
    1) Eat a Big Ass Breakfast (50 grams) within 1/2 hour of waking
    Big enough to prevent you from snacking during the day
    2) 5 hours between meals
    3) No Snacking EVER

More details here:
    http://tinyurl.com/Dr-Kruse-References

The Leptin Reset diet retrains your metabolism to burn fat instead of sugars.

Grizz

kiss is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that some people who live where it's dark and cold in the winter tend to slow down on the weight loss front. Kind of a human hibernation it seems. I know that is of absolutely no help, but something to think about. Maybe some D3 supplements?
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Thanks Grizz and Kiss...

I'll look further into leptin (though it goes against one of the rules that mark laid out in the when to eat post), give it a few days then report back
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt

Just to clarify... when it say's "All protein" breakfast am I allowed any veggies at all in my omelet? I stayed on the cautious side and only had a bit of avocado with my otherwise conivorous breakfast.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think you should take a laxative and re-weigh several hours later, if it makes you feel better. One pound change on the scale is meaningless - your hydration level can take you up or down at least three pounds alone, and if you are holding onto a big stool that's another pound right there. I'd strongly advise you use waist measurements or clothing fit w/ before and after pics to gauge progress at most twice a month. Anything else is a recipe for frustration.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I'm fairly regular in my bowel movements, I think the laxative would be overboard (and feels a little unprimal...).

The clothing fit has had a massive change. I'm starting to wear cloths again that I grew out of years ago... There's no problem there. But I really wanted to celebrate being out of the 300's by being at least 5LBS away from the 3's. I've been in the 300's for almost 3 years now and it wouldn't feel right to celebrate until I knew I was in the clear. Granted I've been out for 3 weighins now but it still feels like it doesn't count yet.
    Last edited by ecks; 01-30-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member
    Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are now wearing smaller sized clothes then I would say that you are beginning to burn fat and to gain muscle. Muscle weight could be canceling out fat weight loss. I agree with some others who said to ignore the scale for now and measure yourself.
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny

Alrighty. I'll take my first measurements next sunday (as sunday is "weigh in" day and start from there. I also did start a leptin reset this morning (granted with a few blanks that I need to fill in). So hopefully that helps as well.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Odly enough I think that everyone here is giving good advice.

at your size you must measure both pounds and Inches. you will want to measure every place your body changes size. i measure head neck chest torso stomach waist hips thigh calf ankle biceps forearm wrist.

Also learn your swing weight. i can gain 20 pounds of water without changing my tape so i know that anything other than a steady drop out of that zone means nothing.

Additionally if you want specifics get your lab work done. If you cant or dont want to AND you are eating true primal 100% AND you are giving yourself 4 hours of not eating before bedtime AND you are getting to bed by 10 pm AND you are not reducing.... THEN you need to find your Carb load level by moving to Ketogenic ( ie 0 carbs) for three weeks. Then after three weeks add 10 carbs a day until you stop reducing. THAT will tell you what you body will allow....

you didnt mention your height. it would also be helpful to understand a bit how you reached your current size. too much cake and ice cream or WTH how did this happen? what about your mom and her mom? any starvation/overeating there? and how was your mothers thyroid while you were developing? Gestational diabetes?

At 300 pounds you sort of slip into the could be hard/difficult category and you will want to rule out certain things asap.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast