Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand why I am not losing weight- vegan to primal would help? page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

I don't understand why I am not losing weight- vegan to primal would help?

Primal Fuel
    I have been a vegan for a few months now and have been eating only vegetables, very little grains (maybe a 1/4 cup a day), lots of good fats, no sugar (except in dark chocolate) and yet I cannot lose weight! In fact, I've posted recently that I was losing weight for a while when i went on vacation, but since returning home and exercising MORE, I am continuing to gain weight!

I know there are a lot of ex-vegans out there, but maybe someone had similar experiences that I have living off only vegetables and not seeing results. It seems that if anyone else were to eat the way I do they would lose weight in a second! I am already thin but I am concerned about the fat that is slowly coming on around my middle. Does anyone have any insight into this and what can help? Usually breakfast is a huge plate of steamed veggies with sesame oil and maybe some rice, lunch steamed veggies again (no grain), dinner is usually a huge platter of roasted vegetables with salad and a lot of good oils. Seems healthy enough right?

What about adding protein shakes or something else to jumpstart my metabolism? Is my metabolism shot at the moment?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Actually, it sounds really unhealthy. How are you getting protein? Veggies plus fat don't equal enough protein. You are probably malnourished- you either need to go primal and add some animal based proteins like eggs, protein shakes and meat OR not be primal and eat stuff like soy.

Most people here WERE vegan not ARE vegan.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I'd rethink the diet and start getting some protein. Even if you don't want to eat red meat and only do fish, eggs, chicken. It's better than none at all.

How much sleep are you getting?

How much water are you drinking?

How much are you exercising and what kind?

There are a lot more variables to weight loss than just your food.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I have been a vegan for a few months now and have been eating only vegetables, very little grains (maybe a 1/4 cup a day), lots of good fats, no sugar (except in dark chocolate) and yet I cannot lose weight! In fact, I've posted recently that I was losing weight for a while when i went on vacation, but since returning home and exercising MORE, I am continuing to gain weight!
    Well, vegans as a rule look and feel like shit so...don't be a vegan? We have quite a few ex-vegans here so maybe they can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    What about adding protein shakes or something else to jumpstart my metabolism? Is my metabolism shot at the moment?
    It would help I guess but why settle for the next best thing?

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest plugging everything you eat into Nutrition Data or one of the other calculators and checking out what you're doing in cold hard numbers. I would agree with everyone else that you're almost definitely not getting much protein (or if you are, it's probably incomplete). You're also almost undoubtedly eating under 1000 calories a day, which is just not good.

Sesame oil is also mostly PUFA and omega 6. It will promote inflammation right along with the grains you are eating. That's probably why you're "gaining weight". You're inflamed. You also said you're exercising even more than you previously were. If you're eating nothing but vegetables with very little protein, how do you expect your body to be nourished enough to repair itself from all this exercise?

I can (kind of) understand veganism for moral reasons, but if you are doing this because you think it's healthy, please rethink your stance.

Like Magnolia said, you kind of need to choose either conventional vegan or primal (and you can probably guess how we're all going to weigh in on that). Honestly, there is a reason that raw vegans all look so sick.

Grizz is offline Banned
    VeggieLover,
    How much do actually weigh right now?

I agree that you have to add more protein to your diet. Fish, chicken, eggs if you don't like beef or pork. The body MUST have protein to be healthy. Our bodies have evolved over millions of years to digest animal fats. You have a Gall Bladder just for that purpose. If you don't use your gallbladder to digest animal fats, it will get filled with sludge & stones, and you could end up in the hospital for gallbladder surgery. All of the EX Vegetarians here will tell you how sickly they used to be.

Grizz

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    But what about all the books and doctors who say you gt protein from dark greens and if you eat lots of variety you will get all the amino acids your body needs? So confused about that one.

Had no idea about the sesame oil! Makes sense. I honestly feel so inflamed in my gut it looks puffy to me- wasn't sure why since I exercise every day 30-40 mins of running and do 30 mins yoga.

I am 5'6 110. Healthy but I could use some toning up . Don't want to get bulky though at all which is another reason I thought eating tons of meat might be bad for me- could cause weight gain, water retention etc which I am worried about.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever heard of the Primal Blueprint or Mark Sisson? A lot of people have had health success following his advice. I'd suggest you google around till you find some info on that, and maybe try it out or at least read up on his ideas. Good luck!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Omigosh, no. Eating meat will not make you bulky, and neither will weight-lifting. And eating only vegetables and "healthy whole grains" and doing a lot of cardio will not make you thin and willowy, it will bloat you. These are the things that everyone says, but they are not true AT ALL.

Chronic cardio will actually add to your inflammation, which is why PB recommends only walking and occasional sprints. Running all the time makes your body think you are running from danger (especially if you're not eating much and you're stressed a lot) and it will hoard every last bit of fat to try and protect you from starvation. That is not what you want. You want your body to think that the hunting is going very well and everything is fine. So, not too much high-intensity exercise, plentiful amounts of meat, and low stress. Only then will your body relax and let you be lean.

Take a look at the before and after pictures thread if you need proof that meat will not bulk you up.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Have you ever heard of the Primal Blueprint or Mark Sisson? A lot of people have had health success following his advice. I'd suggest you google around till you find some info on that, and maybe try it out or at least read up on his ideas. Good luck!
    Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast