Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been to Tesco, and was offered a free Health Check... page

SmokingKipper is offline Junior Member

Been to Tesco, and was offered a free Health Check...

Hi chaps, I was at Tesco picking up some supplies, when the announcer let everyone know the pharemcey section was giving free blood checks etc.

So I wondered down and had some blood taken heart pressure readings taken.

Now, I a have just started the PB diet (on day 3) so anything here is mostly down to my lifestyle prior to this.

Here is what I have.

Glucose: 5.2 mmol/L
    Blood pressure 116.5/72.5
    Cholesterol: 6.85 mmol/L

She said everything was fine, but my Cholesterol was quite high, and if it did not come down I would need to visit a doctor to see if they could get it down.

Now I have not read the enter Primal Blueprint manual, so I am not 100% clear on the position of cholesterol. Is this something I should be concerned about? Will this new lifestyle of mine bring this down to acceptable levels?

Thanks!

As a side note, I got a free goody bag with the check...Amoung other things I was given some bottled water, which has 20g of sugar in it! They call it Elderflower & Pear Detox water.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Ha ha - definitely something to give away, that Detox water, if you can find a taker!

Total cholesterol is meaningless - a test that does a breakdown into HDL/LDL etc is much more informative.

I would only be concerned about an overall high cholesterol reading if blood glucose and blood pressure readings were high. The latter two are far more indicative of cardiovascular disease (also indicative of diabetes/insulin resistance). Your readings are in the ideal range.

If you're concerned about any adverse effects of primal on your cholesterol, then I suggest you wait until you are a few months into primal and get a full set of blood work tests done... you can find many informative threads on this subject if you use the Search feature.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Thanks Bunny. Up until now, I had never heard of HDL/LDL. But I have done a search and found a few mammoth searches on the subject.

And thanks for being so diplomatic in regards to searching...hint taken!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Do you know if it's a nationwide Tesco thingy?

The definitive cholesterol thread is http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Mark's posts on cholesterol are very informative and they also jibe with what my cardiologist has said about the recent research. I would ignore a total cholesterol number, it's pretty meaningless.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I think it is...Did a quick google, and they mentioned how it was normally 10, but is currently 5 in January...But they were doing an offer today for Free.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Do you know if it's a nationwide Tesco thingy?

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Is cholesterol testing effected by fasting?

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Cholesterol is supposed to be done fasting and can be completely off if you have eaten.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had had a buttered coffee about an hour earlier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast