Thread: Activated Charcoal for oral health? page

Leanne is offline Senior Member

Activated Charcoal for oral health?

Primal Fuel
    Just wondering if anyone has tried using activated charcoal to brush their teeth and help with dental decay? My husband has some serious erosion happening (he is no paleo/primal and still eats grains and way too much sugar despite agreeing with everything I tell him about nutrition). He's looking at a couple root canals and several fillings. In the last year the rate of tooth decay has increased alarmingly. I was researching natural tooth pastes and oral care and found a few sites recommending using activated charcoal to reverse tooth decay and help remineralize and strengthen teeth. Apparently charcoal not only makes your teeth super white but it destroys plaque and can cure gingivitis by preventing bacterial build up and actually encourages the formation of new enamel. This all sounds way too good to be true to me. I mean if it is so fabulous wouldn't everyone be using it? The dentist had my husband go out and buy a tiny $14 two ounce tube of toothpaste which has a higher then usual concentration of fluoride (something I try to avoid). When I asked about natural alternatives including charcoal the dentist had never heard of it and scoffed at the idea of making my own tooth paste from natural ingredients.

It would seem that all the health stores and pharmacies in my city rely on the same supplier for their activated charcoal because every single place I've gone looking is sold out and claims the supplier is having trouble sourcing the charcoal (it's made from coconut husks, who knew?) I thought before I went ahead with an on line order I'd try to find out a little more about it and find someone who's actually tried it before.

So, anyone out there tried it? I'd love to know your impressions/ results!
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

peril is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 would be a safer bet. Decay can actually heal once these are right. Obviously only in a limited way. I used to have very bad teeth but have not had decay issues since supplementing with D3
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

princesscelticangel is offline Junior Member

Activated Charcoal

This is true: Activated charcoal when you brush your teeth makes them whiter and destroys plaque and can cure gingivitis by preventing bacterial build up and actually encourages the formation of new enamel. What activated charcoal does is that is absorbs the toxins. I use this concoction and have been impressed with the results. My teeth are whiter, destroys plaque, reduces bacteria, remineralizes and strengthens teeth. I used one capsule of activated to brush my teeth. This is safe to use every day. I make natural toothpaste with coconut oil, calcium/magnesium powder, baking soda, and xylitol.

Doctors will not support the idea of alternative medicines. They believe in conventional methods. So as consumers of healthcare, we have to take our health in our own hands. Activated charcoal is widely available in the states. Hospitals alsouse activated charcoal if there are accidental poisionings.
    Last edited by princesscelticangel; 06-23-2013 at 10:49 PM.

sauerKraut is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Not sure if it helps directy with tooth decay, but "Oil Pullin" is one of those weird things that for some reason delivers results. Can't hurt to try, since the success stories are quite impressive.