Hi

I just started this diet a few days ago and wondered whether I can eat:

- Dried fruit
    - pumpkin
    - sweet corn
    - tins of tuna

Thanks

raney is offline Senior Member
    Dried fruit: is a concentrated source of fructose, eat in moderation. I'd also avoid those with added sulfur dioxide, due to the intestinal distress it can cause.

Pumpkin: sounds good to me. Whole, preferably - beware of BPA in canned sources, as well as potential added sugars or preservatives.

Sweet corn: no! Corn is a grain. Also a source of sugars, anti-nutrients, and potentially a GMO.

Tuna: yes! Great staple food that doesn't require much prep. Add homemade mayo and some chopped veges for a quick and delicious lunch. Also good on top of salads. (edit: ) Also a potential BPA source I suppose - I usually opt for the pouches of tuna. I'm not sure if they are actually better?
    Last edited by raney; 01-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.

bagpuss is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, that helps a lot.

I just had some dried fruit, but probably because I was craving sugar. I think I need to get that out of the house for a few weeks, however I like to have snacks like this for my daughter.

Will not eat the sweet corn

Thanks

peril is offline Senior Member
    There are many types of tuna. All are good to eat but some are better than others. For example, white tuna (albacore) has a much better PUFA profile than yellowfin or bluefin.

Some worry about tuna because of mercury levels. However the selenium present in the fish inhibits the take up of mercury
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    dried fruit = candy. that's how we use it in our house. we use dried apricots. we can get them for a good price.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    You "can" eat whatever you want.

bagpuss is offline Junior Member
    Interesting about the different types of tuna. I am not sure what kind I am eating, however when I looked at the tin, it contained traces of wheat and dairy etc, so maybe I should avoid it for now. Shame, as it seemed like a quick and easy lunch item.

You're much better sticking to fresh fruit. Way more nutrients and fibre per calorie.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Look for a different brand of tuna and packed in olive oil. Frequently tuna is packed in broth - which usually contains nasty stuff