No Cheese Caesar Salad
I recently stumbled on a recipe for a vegan dairy-free alternative to Parmesan cheese that promised to be all that and a bag of kale chips. It sounded a little to good to be true, after all, it's just ground up cashews, garlic and salt. So, I went straight to Google to do some investigating. Seriously, how can that possibly taste like Parmesan cheese? Lo and behold, I couldn't believe it, recipe after recipe, with slight variations, all with rave reviews, for this vegan cheese making secret.
Be sure to use an olive oil that you like the taste of, as that can make or break your salad dressing. Anchovies or anchovy paste is an optional ingredient, I like just a small squirt of the paste. Coconut aminos can be subbed with gluten-free tamari sauce or worcestershire sauce, each will lend a slightly different taste. Everyone has their own taste preference in a Caesar, so don't be afraid to play with the ingredients a little.
Caesar Salad with
Cashew "Parmesan" Cheese
Original Recipe by Mimi Kirk
Adapted by Healthy Living How To
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 2 Organic Medium Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp. Organic Capers
- 1 oz. Organic Lemon Juice, Fresh
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp. Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Aminos
- 1/2 tsp. Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Squirt of Anchovy Paste (optional)
- 1/2 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 c. Raw Cashews
- 1 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- Romaine Lettuce Leaves
1. In a food processor or high powered blender, pulse cashews with salt and one garlic clove until it resembles Parmesan cheese. Set aside. *Store leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
2. In a mixing bowl, using a garlic press, crush one clove of garlic along with the capers. To this add fresh squeezed lemon juice, coconut aminos, mustard, pepper and anchovy paste and whisk together.
3. While whisking with one hand, slowly drizzle in the olive oil creating an emulsion.
4. Once all oil has been incorporated, add 1/4 c. of the cashew "Parmesan" cheese.
5. Plate your salad, drizzle with dressing and top with more Paremesan cheese. Enjoy!
Last edited by Vanessa120; 01-28-2012 at 05:29 PM.