Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elimination diet for autoimmune page

leanzorik is offline Member

Elimination diet for autoimmune

Shop Now
    Hey guys,

I finally started an elimination diet to see if my psoriasis gets better. So for the past week I eliminated tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, white potatoes, eggs, dairy, nuts/seeds, shellfish and fruits in addition to the Paleo diet. So I am going to try this out for about a month or so.

I was wondering if sweet potatoes, yams and squashes are okay to eat? I been eating them so far. I don't have any known allergies toward them but I can't find any information out there of whether to exclude them or not in an autoimmune protocol?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by leanzorik; 01-30-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: forgot to add shellfish just in case!

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes, yams and squash are not nightshades. Go for it and congrats on being willing to do this tough elimination for the benefit of your health. You may want to check out the GAPS protocol as it is about healing your leaky gut, which is where most auto-immune problems come from.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Hey! I have psoriasis too...and though I've eliminated most of the common irritating foods, I still eat eggs, fruit, and nuts - but I know I should stop for a while to see if it makes a difference. Really looking into GAPS right now!
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    I too applaud you for going through the hard work to find your issues. Remember when adding things back in to wait 4 - 5 days in between so you can pinpoint any reaction to the culprit food.
    There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
    Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leanzorik View Post
    Hey guys,

I finally started an elimination diet to see if my psoriasis gets better. So for the past week I eliminated tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, white potatoes, eggs, dairy, nuts/seeds and fruits in addition to the Paleo diet. So I am going to try this out for about a month or so.

I was wondering if sweet potatoes, yams and squashes are okay to eat? I been eating them so far. I don't have any known allergies toward them but I can't find any information out there of whether to exclude them or not in an autoimmune protocol?

thanks in advance
    Good on you. I'm at the end of my elimination. Life without nightshades, eggs, and dairy has been tough. I did not drop nuts and fruit, and I imagine it's got to be a hard row to hoe so...once again, you have my admiration.

I've been eating sweet potatoes, yams, and squash. They are not part of the nightshade group.

Quote Originally Posted by alg2435 View Post
    Hey! I have psoriasis too...and though I've eliminated most of the common irritating foods, I still eat eggs, fruit, and nuts - but I know I should stop for a while to see if it makes a difference. Really looking into GAPS right now!
    Did the elimination help your psoriasis in any way? I am going to try this out for a month. Its only been a week and no significant change. But this is probably the first time I completely cut out the nightshade family and eggs. So I imagine my body is still getting rid of junk..

Quote Originally Posted by GoLisaGo View Post
    I too applaud you for going through the hard work to find your issues. Remember when adding things back in to wait 4 - 5 days in between so you can pinpoint any reaction to the culprit food.
    Thanks
    I thought 3 days of eating a specific irritant food was sufficient enough to see if it effects you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Sweet potatoes, yams and squash are not nightshades. Go for it and congrats on being willing to do this tough elimination for the benefit of your health. You may want to check out the GAPS protocol as it is about healing your leaky gut, which is where most auto-immune problems come from.
    I am glad they are not nightshades! Since I eat sweet potatoes, yams and squash daily!
    From my understanding, the GAPS diet is Paleo plus fermented foods and bone broth. I am already started taking 25 billion probiotic so I got the fermented part covered.

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    Symptoms might crop up or persist for 48 to 72 hours after ingesting suspect food. For instance, if I had too much lactose, the worst effect would start a day or two later when the bacteria in my lower gut hit high frenzy mode.
    There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
    Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

huckie is offline Member
    My little boy has eczema and we are 3 weeks in and starting to get rid of it finally, unfortunately I can't take him off dairy, he is only 3 and is already finding most of the foods he has always eaten are not allowed anymore. Interestingly he hates peppers and wont eat them.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast