Thread: Rosacea to wreck our harmonious dinners page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Rosacea to wreck our harmonious dinners

Shop Now
    Sorry for another post about rosacea. My boyfriend has been diagnosed with rosacea. He is researching rosacea diets. They have admonitions against all red meat and recommend whole grains, chicken, avoid fish, no wine, no chocolate. This is horrible. It's going to ruin the harmony of dinner time where he has somewhat accepted paleo foods. Now he blames them. How can these "anti-inflammatory diets" recommend such foods? Don't they know the inflammation caused by whole grains? Low-fat? I don't know what to do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

patski is offline Senior Member
    I'd get him off wheat and all forms of refined sugar to start. That's going to be one huge step. See how things go.

Then eliminate dairy, eggs, nuts/seeds.

Rinse and repeat.

I know it's not the same thing, but I've been dealing with a form of dermatitis which is FINALLY going away COMPLETELY because this week I eliminated all dairy and eggs. Fascinating stuff. They say your skin is your third kidney. It's amazing how diet is in exact harmony or disharmony with your largest organ.

Report back

Rosacea seems to be this horrible rabbit hole. Nobody has a clue. It's all confounded by the different kinds. It looks like the acne kind responds fairly well to the paleo diet. The red kind not so much. There's almost no information about the ocular kind, which is what he has. One website says avoid fish oil. Another one says fish oil is great for rosacea because it's anti-inflammatory. One says Vitamin D is the devil, another says get plenty of it. One source says avoid pepper and another says spices and pepper are good and another says avoid nightshades and another says tomatoes are great. He read coconut oil is good (for eating) so wanted to buy some. I had to remind him I have lots of coconut oil but never use it because he's been so adamantly opposed to ever smelling it in the house. So I go to cook and forget that he's okay with coconut oil and cook with butter out of habit. Honestly, nobody has a clue and it's so confusing.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that does sound rather mental!

My dermatitis had a lot of redness associated with it. Since I just stopped eating eggs/dairy this week, the redness is almost completely vanished! I'm floored!

I would definitely cut out all foods with lectins: dairy, eggs, all grains, nuts. And then go from there. I find it hard to believe that fish oil and vitamin d would make rosacea worse. The only thing you can do right now to fix it, is through diet. Definitely remove all lectins, and then after about a month or so, I'd start with just adding vitamin D in. See what happens. If all is well, keep it up. Then add fish oil. Etc.

Report back! With my dermatitis, I'm even more fascinated by skin issues. Amazing machine, our bodies are. But it has a weird way of telling us something is wrong, LOL!

Oddly he feels he has found relief from Chrysathemum tea. Okay, as long as he's happy. He's never going to adopt a primal diet unless there's proof that it will fix his rosacea and there's definitely no reports of it fixing ocular rosacea on a primal/paleo diet, and in fact, some of what is advocated on a primal/paleo diet is at odds with what is advocated for rosacea. At least we agree on vegetables. I'll probably never get steak for dinner again, though.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I know quite a few people who have seen much improvement through supplementing with HCl....rosacea is linked to low stomach acid. Has he tried that??
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

No, he's only been freshly diagnosed. That's interesting about the HCl since I read some sites saying there was some kind of correlation with H. pylori, the bacteria involved with ulcers.