Thread: Hopeful newbie page

huntingBears is offline Senior Member

Hopeful newbie

Shop Now
    Hi all,
    From about 18 till now (26) i've always felt run down and incredibly tired. I've had digestive problems, occasional headaches, bloating, poor sleeping patterns, slight anxiety, and depression that since moving to a new city a few months ago became quite serious.

I've always known that something is wrong with me and i cant accept that 'everyone nowadays is ridiculously tired, its just a part of life', i believe its not a part of life and its not right!!
    I'm excited to go primal, I was eating quite healthy in the last 6 months or so (or what i thought was healthy, oats for breakfast, rice for dinner, lots of fruit etc) and I was still feeling run down

I only started the primal lifestyle 3 days ago and i feel quite strange, sort of spacey with slight headaches, still very tired but with small bursts of energy (i usually run every now and again and yesterday i felt compelled to go for one, i also lifted a few weights)

I'm convinced that carbs and insulin are the reason why myself and most of the people i know are constantly tired, and im also convinced that the explosion in obesity and chronic diseases also rests on the shoulders of carbs and insulin
    I'm looking forward to the end of my mild 'carb flu' and getting to the point of energy and happiness! I am currently on citalopram for the depression but if this lifestyle starts to work wonders (as i hope it does) i will wean myself off them

Thanks in advance to everyone on the forum (hopefully i will be back in a few weeks fawning over Mark Sisson and bursting about how great i feel!)
    I have this feeling in my gut that this is going to work and i sincerely hope it does

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Wow, your symptoms sound exactly like mine except I waited till I was 38 to try doing anything about it. Welcome. PLEASE don't get the impression that this is all about low-carbing. It's 80% about eating real foods, avoiding sugar, avoiding industrial seed oils, and avoiding gluten. Low carbing is mainly a weight loss tool / get your metabolism back tool. You end up eating lower carb on this plan, but honestly that isn't the main point. Just wanted to make sure that comes across. Follow the links in my sig and don't get caught up in the forum too much. Good luck!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Thanks for the reply tfarny
    its encouraging that you had the same symptoms to me, i almost cried yesterday when people were speaking about how they were no longer tired all day! i always thought it was an impossibility for me, though i am getting a bit ahead of myself cos i havent noticed a massive change yet
    how long did it take you to start feeling good? was the change significant?
    i think i get the low carb thing, its mainly about avoiding grains and stuff, i'm going to reintroduce quinoa in a few weeks though and see how it goes

this is what i ate yesterday does it look ok?
    thanks in advance

probiotic: 30
    eggs (boiled, 3): 210
    olive oil: 270
    almonds (20): 135
    tomatoes: 30
    ---
    organic mince (lean): 525
    plum Tomatoes: 75
    grape seed oil: 100
    ---
    chickpeas: 130
    almonds (6): 40
    spinach: 30
    avocado: 270
    apple: 55
    seeds: 60
    ---
    total: 1960

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome HuntingBears. I looks like you are hanging on to the CW idea of avoiding saturated fat. The things you are eating are OK, although Mark would say no chickpeas or other legumes. Personally, I do eat beans but if you want to try the blueprint, maybe you should avoid them.

When you eat mince, don't get the lean stuff. You need saturated fat. If you really can stomach meat fat, cook stuff in coconut or palm oil. And eat cold water fish. But meat fat is good for you.

Don't count calories. Get enough protein and fat to be satisfied, with some healthy carbs from fruit and veggies. (Again, I eat potatoes, but that is from other plans. It is not primal.)

Otherwise, what tfarny said.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

thanks hedonist, other than the saturated fat does it look like im on the right track if i get rid of the chickpeas? does this diet look good?
    thanks!

Well it's just one day. The "meals" look strange to me, they look more like big snacks or collections of random food. That's up to you, of course. For me that day looks a bit light on protein, but others might differ. I would recommend starting with something similar to:
    Breakast: nothing, or 3 eggs fried in butter. Have a banana if you like, too, or some full fat yogurt. But if you go for "nothing" make it really "nothing" - it's easier than having just a carb source.
    Lunch: big salad (could be lettuce-based or not) with maybe tuna fish or chicken. Dressing of good olive oil and vinegar. Or have your mince and a side of vegetables. Yesterday I had a salad of steamed broccoli, leftover roasted root veg, tuna fish (one whole can), and olive oil / apple cider vinegar.
    Dinner: Juicy steak, cooked in butter. Side of sweet potato plus spinach, or similar.

Notice the lack of nuts, snacking, liquid calories, and beans, and the inclusion of a little bit of dairy. That's how I roll, personally.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

yea im sort of getting to grips with the diet plan, i do need to start having proper meals instead of snacks, im just trying to keep the numbers up really with olive oil and nuts etc, i cant really afford to live off too much meat though i will certainly try to up it, probably when i start to feel better from this diet!
    thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by huntingBears View Post
    yea im sort of getting to grips with the diet plan, i do need to start having proper meals instead of snacks, im just trying to keep the numbers up really with olive oil and nuts etc, i cant really afford to live off too much meat though i will certainly try to up it, probably when i start to feel better from this diet!
    thanks for your help
    Yeah, well, getting most of your calories from olive oil and nuts isn't the plan, though - it's eating animal protein regularly, and keeping nuts as an occasional treat. Waiting until nuts and olive oil make you feel better, then switching to eating real food, isn't really the best way forward. But it will probably be better than eating garbage or vegetarian. You don't need to gorge on meat, and it doesn't have to be super-expensive meat either. Actually if you substitute mince or chicken for the steak in my sample plan, the cost is probably very similar to yours.