Thread: If you need me, I will be curled up in a ball in the corner page

sharonm is offline Junior Member

If you need me, I will be curled up in a ball in the corner

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First, a little background. I have been primal for about 68 days. I am 41 years old, 5'4" and started at about 119 pounds. Before a death in the family about a year and a half ago, by normal weight was around 112, BF around 18-19%. I gained a lot after that. I didn't weigh myself at the worst of it, but I'm guessing I hit 130-135 (I have a small frame. That is quite a bit on me). I got back down to about 120 on the Zone, which is what I had done for years. But once I hit 120, I just kept fluctuating 120-125, up and down, up and down, and never breaking the 120 mark. At the 30 day mark of going primal, I weighed about 115 and my BF was 25.3% at that weight. I rebounded a bit after that and have been scared to see the scale or tape measure ever since. I don't want to be disappointed, but I don't think I've made any more progress. And so you realize I'm not a crazy person, I know my weight is fine. It's my body fat I would like to see change. And my legs. My Earl Campbell legs. (I lost 5 inches in the first month. NONE in my damn thighs. *sigh*)

Anyway, I keep reading about leangains vs. carb cycling and thought I might try one or the other to see if I can get things going. My workout consists of taekwondo 4 days a week (hence, the giganto thighs) and functional fitness twice/week most weeks. It might be a little much, but this is likely my last year to compete in TKD, so I need to stay with it (and some days are harder than others; lots of starts and stops). And that is where the # on the scale does matter. I need to at least stay in striking distance of my weight class.

I have been at least 90% compliant with my diet, red wine being my worst vice. Nothing is changing. Nothing except debilitating cramps in my legs and feet that magnesium and potassium supplements have not helped. At. All. And I'm not dehydrated. My toes are trying to get away from each other as I type. Usually starts about half an hour after a workout and goes through the night. Every. Night.

So...would either carb cycling or leangains help me accelerate fat loss? Would the extra carbs help with the cramps, or does that have nothing to do with it? I feel a little overwhelmed and on information overload right now. I need someone to take me by the hand and tell me what to do. I would like to at least get back to 18% BF, but my ultimate goal would be 15%. And no more cramps. Please.

UPDATE: So, I braved the scale this morning. I am 120 (up 5 pounds). BF and muscle percentage both up slightly. I am so frustrated I could cry.
    Last edited by sharonm; 01-28-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Holds your hand. Try not to weigh yourself. Really. Put the scales in the closet or give them to a thrift store.

Leg cramps seem to be common here. I have had them since starting 1 1/2 years ago. Haven't found the answer. Really helpful, I know.

Sometimes people gain weight on primal as their body rebuilds parts that have been starved. Try not to worry. Read the forum for similar stories.

If read wine is your worst vice, you are doing great!

Don't give up. Keep experimenting.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Are you doing enough stretching?

Also, try eating bananas. I used to get leg cramps a lot in when I was in cheerleading. One of the girls suggested I eat more bananas because the potassium helps prevent cramps. It worked for me, it might for you.
    "Fat gives things flavor." -Julia Child
    "It's perfect! Even if it's not, who cares. No excuses." -Julia Child

A cast iron skillet is a lifestyle, not a tool.

My sunshine and bacon filled journal