Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a brief warm-up followed by a brief cool-down/stretch page

Papou is offline Junior Member

Can anyone recommend a brief warm-up followed by a brief cool-down/stretch

Primal Fuel
    I know many don't believe in stretching but I have slight scoliosis and if I don't stretch, my back kills me.

I've been stretching before and after my weekly heavy lifting days but still get a bit stiff. I want to change to a brief (10 minute) warm-up before my lifting followed by a brief (10 minute) cool down and/or stretch at the conclusion.

Any suggestions or recommendations out there?

George

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    a little light cardio is pretty good for a warm up...a quick jog, five minutes on a bike...followed by some dynamic stretching. just hanging from a bar (the grok hang) for about 30 seconds, grok squat for 30 seconds, maybe some leg swings and shoulder dislocators should do you just fine. you can also follow that up with a few body weight exercises, or just warm up to your lifts by starting with lighter weights and increasing by a couple of intervals until you get to your working weights. that shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes.

for a cool down, just stick with the dynamic stretching and maybe some light cardio again. also consider a little yoga on your off days.

dado Guest
    some jumping-jacks

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Dynaic warm-up is much better than static stretching.

Here: Dynamic Warm Up Exercises - YouTube

And Here: Professional Warm Up for Any Sport! - YouTube

Cheers,

Dave

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    I do 10min on the bike before I lift, with a hoody and pants, to get a sweat started so I know I'm warm.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Emily Mekeel is offline Junior Member
    I just did a month of Insanity and, while I decided that the workout is not for me (nor is it very Primal friendly), the warm-up used has a good principle behind it: There's three rounds of dynamic stretching/ cardio moves that get progressively harder. The whole thing takes roughly ten minutes.
    Perhaps you could choose a few dynamic stretching/ light cardio moves that suit you and do them for 30 seconds each for a few progressively more intense rounds to loosen up. Don't go cardio crazy (a la Insanity warmup), obviously, but you should be nice and loose at the end. Perhaps before you get into the actual lift you could finish up the warmup with the classic Grok Squat and Hang?

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Mostly for after a workout - MobilityWOD

Do them daily.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Papou View Post
    I know many don't believe in stretching but I have slight scoliosis and if I don't stretch, my back kills me.

I've been stretching before and after my weekly heavy lifting days but still get a bit stiff. I want to change to a brief (10 minute) warm-up before my lifting followed by a brief (10 minute) cool down and/or stretch at the conclusion.

Any suggestions or recommendations out there?

George

Research is starting to show that static stretching of cold muscles can increase the potential for injury. Also, as others have pointed out, dynamic stretching is starting to pick up moment and is quickly replacing static work, at least for warm-ups.

If stretching is essential, always warm-up first if you do it at the beginning of the workout. Personally, I always perform static stretches at the end of the workout after the muscles are completely warm.

I now favor joint mobility exercises at the beginning of the workout for about 5 minutes followed by general calisthenics like jumping jacks then conclude the workout with more joint mobility and/or static stretching.

Just do an internet search for "joint mobility" and "dynamic Warm-ups" to get an idea of various exercises.

Steve

skeedaddy is offline Member
    5 minute rowing machine

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My standard routine for lifting days:
    1. a few minutes with some specific mobility on my neck and shoulders (mobilitywod.com)
    2. a little cardio to get the heart pumping (row + a few rounds of the Burgner warm up with a kids bar)
    3. dynamic stretching
    4. joint articulation (varies depending on which lifts I'm going to do)
    5. slow, form check reps with training plates
    6. warm up sets with weight
    7. finally some heavy lifting and funny faces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast