Thread: Another Newbie page

sn75 is offline Junior Member

Another Newbie

Hello All,

Been primal for a week solid now. First few days were fine and now experiencing carb flu (or something else is triggering mild day long headaches). I eat pretty primally (meats (all types), eggs, veggies, good Whey protein, apples (2 small ones a day/max) along with blueberries occasionally, that's pretty much it!) and drink about 64 oz of water a day (sometime more) mainly because I want to. I still drink one cup of coffee in the morning (no dairy in it) with some coconut oil mixed in. Wonder if the coconut oil might be giving me a headache (read somewhere about herxheimer reaction some have, don't know). I've used cheese a couple times in my eggs but that's it. So, I'd say I'm going very low carb at this point (two small apples aren't that much carbs).

I have some questions for you veterans. Do you use ground turkey or ground beef (grass fed or not)? I haven't seen much mentioned on it. I know in Mark Sisson's book, he said that he doesn't usually suggest it as the carcasses are/can be ground into the mix along with other undesirables. I'm just looking for different protein sources (easy to make as well) other than shrimp, steak, chicken, pork, etc. I'm good with the lunch salad thing, but I need to experiment more with making dressings. I'm already tire of balsamics mixed with EVOO

For the most part so far, so good (other than recent headaches). I don't have cravings (even with not getting rid of carb items in my house as I have kids and they eat them and use them for lunches, etc) and don't really feel hungry most of the time. The not feeling hungry worries me a bit, as I don't want to not get enough protein/fat in my diet and start losing muscle. Oh well, I have a long way to go (a lifetime, lol) with this, so I'll work with it and move on

Steve

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Steve --

Oxtail soup is fun. Throw some oxtails in with a bit of your favorite seasoning for a couple hours at a simmer; then add vegies and, man, is it yummy! Besides, you get to get all oily munching on the bones -- it's very primal:-) I also like cooking up crispy bacon at a somewhat low heat and then throw in kale in that so that the kale leaves and stems are not raw but not overcooked. You can put two eggs in that with a lid and they sort of poach.
    I don't like ground meat, so I hope someone else helps you there.

Just a thought about the headache. With the tons of vegies I assume you're eating, that sounds like a lot of water. Not enough water isn't good, but sometimes too much can give you a slight headache too.

If you're not craving food, it sounds like a good sign to me. You're probably getting enough fat. I notice the cravings just don't exist now that I got the fat organized. Sweet beyond simple blueberries and apples just isn't good, although I'm cutting even those out for awhile.

Sounds like you're making a great start. Slight headache could just be changeover too. If it stays low, I think you're okay for bit. It shouldn't continue. Others will probably tell you more about this.

I never had trouble with coconut oil. It's wonderful stuff, so I sure hope that's not the problem.

Thanks for the soup recipe. I'll have to try it. I'll keep an eye on the headaches (like I said, it's pretty dull, not like a migraine or anything, which is a good thing!).

Splurged a little today, went to Outback Steakhouse with the wife and kids. Had a 10 oz ribeye, just salt/pepper and wood fired (pretty good, kinda dry though) along with steamed broccoli (too much, couldn't finish it all, lol). Still not bad. They have gluten free selections which is what I requested when I ordered the steak (not that it would have anything with gluten on it, but to be on the safe side).

How about nuts, how much do you folks consume? Right now I may eat between 10 to 20 almonds every other day and about the same amount of pistachios (probably less of these as they're pretty rich tasting to me). Does the consumption of nuts seem to stall anyone (as far as weight loss)? I would think they wouldn't seeing how they are very low GI and have good fats in them. I guess I'll stick with them as they fill the gap when I'm in a pinch/rush and need something.
    Last edited by sn75; 01-27-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Try to see if in the future you can get your steak cooked with real butter. Would help the dryness in the future.

Nuts are very caloric dense. Many people stall their weight loss when on them because a 1/4c of Almonds is 205 calories, and no one stops at just the 1/4c. Almonds and pistachio are also higher in Omega-6 fats than some of the more safer nut approaches. If you can afford it (taste and money-wise), stick to macadamia, cashews, and hazelnuts. Check to make sure you are not mildly allergic either.

Nuts and Omega 6 Fats | Mark's Daily Apple
    Good tips, thanks. Congrats on your weight loss (saw it in your signature). I'll try those nuts you mentioned.

How about avocado, I love me some avocados!! I couldn't do more than one a day of course (too much after that). My ultimate goal is to eat healthier and continue to lose weight.

Years ago (7 years ago to be exact) I lost 50 lbs on Atkins style diet (this one was prescribed by a doctor in TX). Long story short, the loss didn't last long and I ended up gaining it back. The problem with that diet was it transitioned you into certain carbs (like apples and other basic carbs) after several months on the diet. So, in theory (and reality), it worked (lost a bunch of weight being ketonic), but failed because it didn't educate one on how to properly eat for the rest of one's life (or discuss gluten, preservative, grains, sugar and their effects on the body). This diet also had me eating too much garbage protein (fast food/grocery type low carb food).

So, here I am back at it doing the primal way (healthier way IMO), but still am always looking for tips and ideas that'll get me on the road to a healthier me
    Last edited by sn75; 01-29-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Robthetrackie is offline Junior Member
    Hey there, and good luck!
    I have been eating Primal for just 3 weeks. I find my hunger varies, and it is almost fun to skip meals and make up for it later.

I am easily losing 3 lbs per week, however I do make sure I am getting enough protein.
    My muscle mass has not changed, as my exercise is the same, and going Primal is obviously not starving my muscles!! (Primal Exercise is my next step)

How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

cheers

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Robthetrackie View Post
    Hey there, and good luck!
    I have been eating Primal for just 3 weeks. I find my hunger varies, and it is almost fun to skip meals and make up for it later.

I am easily losing 3 lbs per week, however I do make sure I am getting enough protein.
    My muscle mass has not changed, as my exercise is the same, and going Primal is obviously not starving my muscles!! (Primal Exercise is my next step)

How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

cheers
    Thanks. Very encouraging.

Good news, no headaches over last two days. Could have been carb flu or nuts (cut those out for now). Whatever it is, I feel WAY better. I'm down 8 lbs (started on 1/21/12), but probably water weight. Still, it feels good!