Thread: Beef Bacon page

d2mini is offline Senior Member

Beef Bacon

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I made my first order from U.S. Wellness and decided to try the uncured beef bacon.
    When I received it, it looked a little scary.
    But cooked it up this morning with a little coconut oil and it actually wasn't bad. Pretty lean and had more of a beef jerky consistency. Pretty much the same as eating steak and eggs except this time the steak was pre cut in thin strips.

I think I still prefer pork bacon, but not bad for a change.

BTW, I ordered a few things along with the bacon like a stick of pepperoni and some beef jerky. Once opened, any idea how long these last in the fridge?
    -dennis

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    I bought some of the trader joes brand, uncured. I decided to cook the whole package in the oven so it would not go bad during the week. I think the jerky is fine for a while since it is really dry. The pepperoni? Not a clue but around here it would disappear in a matter of hours.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    BTW, I ordered a few things along with the bacon like a stick of pepperoni and some beef jerky. Once opened, any idea how long these last in the fridge?
    Are you sure you need to or even should refrigerate them? I keep my rendered lard and smoked lard and bacon out of the fridge. The butcher said it wasn't necessary with the rendered lard and positively harmful with the smoked lard and bacon.

My guess is that it would keep a year out of the fridge, and be edible but tough and poor flavour the next. But I don't really know. I had a 4lb slab of smoked lard from Slovakia and that kept a year unrefrigerated in my kitchen, but towards the end the flavour was not as good. In the 1920s my great grandfather (a country doctor) was sometimes paid by his patients in bottled carrots and maple syrup. In the 1990s the bottled carrots were mushy and not very nice, but the maple syrup was fine, if a little flavourless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    How did you prepare the bacon? We cook ours on a broiler pan, and it seems to keep it closer in texture with pork bacon.
    I just through it in the pan with a touch of coconut oil like I do with regular bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Are you sure you need to or even should refrigerate them? I keep my rendered lard and smoked lard and bacon out of the fridge. The butcher said it wasn't necessary with the rendered lard and positively harmful with the smoked lard and bacon.
    I dunno. I've always been under the impression that once something is frozen and it thaws, you either need to refreeze or refrigerate. ?????
    -dennis

Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    I dunno. I've always been under the impression that once something is frozen and it thaws, you either need to refreeze or refrigerate. ?????
    I thought that you should not refreeze something that has thawed out. I think it is because the freezing break down the cell structure and makes it more prone to going off. I have to say that is more from custom than experience though. Does something that was once frozen need to be refrigerated after? Maybe. I think it will go off quicker than the same unfrozen.

I do buy frozen green veg, because it is so convenient. I also freeze the bread I make. I eat so little of it now it would go off if it was not frozen into half loaves (and still goes off). It is too popular at work and with my kids for me to stop making it altogether Once I have used up my stockpile of cheap cheap cancer-causing genetically modified gluten flour (er, yes, the stuff my kids like, er) I will start experimenting with non-wheat flours.

Surely the whole point of beef jerky and peperoni is that they are preserved meats that do not need to be refrigerated or frozen at all?
    Last edited by billp; 01-30-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Repertition

I dunno. U.S. Wellness says it's ok to throw in the freezer when your order is received, even though the stuff is thawed (still ice cold).
    -dennis

Probably doesn't matter if it is frozen or not then. Refreezing definitely does not work with ice cream. In general I think anything preserved by salt, sugar or smoke does not need to go in the fridge. I expect unnecessary freezing will affect the flavour, even if it doesn't do any real harm.