Thread: Differences Between PB & Paleo/Caveman? page

GR8ADVENTURE is offline Junior Member

Differences Between PB & Paleo/Caveman?

Shop Now
    What are or are there any real differences, between eating according to PB & Paleo/Caveman. I've read PB and I've read a little about Paleo and they sound to the same to me. It sounds like PB is just one of the slight tweaks made on the Paleo/Caveman. The little I read on the Paleo/Caveman diet was in the book Body by Science. I like the way Mark Sisson's communication style in PB, but I appreciate even more the specific scientific and other references backing up the authors BBS. Mark seems to just want us to take his word for what he says science shows.

I'm actually not trying to pit one against the other, I'm just really trying to understand and decide what is best for me. I've already come to the conclusion that I prefer what Body By Science says about training.

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Slightly different concepts. Paleo leans toward "if we didn't evolve on it, don't even think about eating it". Primal is more "we evolved eating these things, but we live in a modern world, and these things are okay too".
    And I'm not sure about Paleo, but I don't think it says anything about other aspects of life (sleep, exercise, etc), which Primal does.

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Primal is a brand, paleo is a range of things to different people (high fat, moderate fat, low carb, starchy veg filled). It's in Mark's interests to market it as something different but it ain't. The other lifestyle aspects were covered by others in the paleosphere prior to here. Not knocking MDA, it spreads the word very well, but the difference is packaging.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Classic Paleo is actually low fat, both added fat and in selecting meat cuts. It also excludes, depending on the author, things like salt, vinegar, bacon, root vegetables (like even radishes) i.e. processed foods. It has a more firm stand on dairy. Paleo changed since its inception though, to be more fat-acceptant.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brachiate View Post
    Primal is a brand, paleo is a range of things to different people (high fat, moderate fat, low carb, starchy veg filled). It's in Mark's interests to market it as something different but it ain't. The other lifestyle aspects were covered by others in the paleosphere prior to here. Not knocking MDA, it spreads the word very well, but the difference is packaging.
    But doesn't PB also allow for the 80/20 rule (whereas paleo is all or nothing)? Also, things like dark chocolate, wine, & dairy (for those who tolerate it) are allowed on PB but not on Paleo. And - to my understanding - many paleo people do high protein/low fat (ie lean meats), whereas PB is relatively high in healthy fats.

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysara View Post
    But doesn't PB also allow for the 80/20 rule (whereas paleo is all or nothing)? Also, things like dark chocolate, wine, & dairy (for those who tolerate it) are allowed on PB but not on Paleo. And - to my understanding - many paleo people do high protein/low fat (ie lean meats), whereas PB is relatively high in healthy fats.
    Wine, olive oil.. things that weren't eaten in the paleolithic still go into paleo diets if they're not seen as "neolithic agents of disease", as Kurt Harris calls them. Dairy, well that varies depending on which paleo book you read, and still creeps into recipes of relatively anti-dairy books like The New Evolution Diet. If you watch Mark's Ancestral Health Symposium video he starts by saying he wasn't sure which topic to talk about as he's presenting to the people he gets his information from...
    Cordain's The Paleo Diet is big on lean meat, but overall it's a moderate fat diet, because you eat a lot of that meat and get fats from olive oil, avocado, oily fish etc. Other paleo writers are pro saturated fat. De Vany's diet is a mix of lean meats and fatty meats, he thinks variety is important. Kurt Harris' Archevore diet is high fat, and includes tubers. "Paleo" is a broader category than Loren Cordain, which is why "ancestral health" is gaining as a term to avoid confusion.
    80/20... cheat days are common in a lot of diets, including Cordain's Paleo Diet book. If you feel it's of greater significance than that, fine, but isn't it just a marketing not to scare people off just like any other acceptable cheats in diets?
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)