Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello hello! page

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member

Hello hello!

Primal Fuel
    I started Primal about a week ago and have been reading through the forum. You all seem like such nice people! There is none of the snippiness and fat-shaming you would expect to see on a "diet" forum, probably because you guys aren't all hungry and miserable! I'm in it for the long-haul (have already thrown out or given away all my flour, vegetable oils, sugar, potatoes, rice, bread yeast, sauces with frankensteined soy ingredients, etc.) It isn't a far jump for me otherwise because I already don't really like sweets much, I already cook from scratch, and I tend to eat a lot of meat-and-vegetable soups.

So far, just from giving up grains and starches and eating a lot more butter, I've lost about 7lbs. I have been tracking calories and nutrients just to fine-tune and figure out exactly what I'm doing, and I am generally eating about 30-90g carbs, 80-120g protein, and 80-120g fat. Also drinking a lot of rose petal tea because it is anti-inflammatory and also delicioussss.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 02-17-2012 at 04:49 PM.

So apparently my tastebuds have already changed. I went to put a little brown sugar in a recipe today (whenever I make it it's always too bitter without any) and it is soooo sweeeet it's almost gross. I didn't even add that much! Also now I have a headache, which is the same thing that happened last week when I ate some chocolates..

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

My waist measurement is going down, but that seems to be the only thing getting noticeably skinnier. Currently at 38.75" (waist) and 51.75" (hips).

I guess I should mention that my fat is equally placed along my whole body. Every part of me is big, so I kind of always figured I would always be big because this is "just what my body is like". Even wearing a size 18 on top and 22 on bottom I have always been very proportionate and "don't look as big as I really am". I have never thought of my body as having any "problem areas" (I also hate that term), I'm just physically large.

Here is me pre-primal at 5'8" and 260lbs.

Hopefully I'll have a "during" photo somewhere down the line. But really, my only real goal is to someday have my thighs not touch! Oh my gosh what a dream that would be!

I'm lucky to have (somewhere around here) a very detailed list of body measurement from when I was about 14 and I wanted to sew a dress. I was overweight then too but it will still feel like a triumph when I am smaller than I was at 14. Going to try and hunt up the page. It's in a box somewhere.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear you are making progress. Remember though this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. Hope you are enjoying your walks and lifting heavy things too.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Hi Dirlot, it's definitely a lifestyle change for me. I have cleaned out my pantry and done a ton of research. I posted in another thread how I honestly never even liked bread/pasta/rice in the first place. I always saw them as cheap fillers that I ate just to stretch my dime. I'd cook up a meal that is basically primal and then eat it with a ton of bread or fill it with potatoes because they added meaningless bulk that was cheap but filled me up. I already used butter and whole milk.

The only real challenge has been trying to convince myself that it is ok to not fill up on carb fluff and to just eat the good (expensive, nutrient-rich) food by itself. It still makes me feel a little anxious and I have to remind myself that I really don't have to eat that crap if I don't want to, which I don't. Also, well, I didn't want to give up ice cream, but now I'm looking into buying a hand-crank ice cream maker so I can make my own unsweetened stuff with heavy cream - mmmm! I never liked sweets much anyway (always baked with half the amount of sugar recommended just because it tasted better to me that way).

I am admittedly not doing much exercise, aside from walking up and down the stairs from the 4th floor of my apartment building every day. To be honest, I am on SSI disability for agoraphobia, so I have trouble leaving the house that is severe enough to keep me from holding a job. I've been occasionally lifting the furniture, though.

Brought home a 35lb box of raw meat today. It cost fully half my monthly food budget, but I'm gonna eat so well this month. Excited!

Hoooly crap. Made some shepherd's pie (no potatoes) out of some ground chuck from the butcher. Ho. Lee. Crap. I don't know how I have been choking down the hard, rubbery, gristly junk they sell at the grocery store as ground beef. This stuff is soft and tender and smells sooooo good just when browning on the stove. Smelled like I had put a roast in the oven.

I honestly used to think that ground beef just inherently has no taste, and just inherently smells like sweaty, greasy rubber when unseasoned. I thought that was normal.

I'm never buying "meat" from the grocery store again!! Only a good local butcher from now on.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 02-02-2012 at 01:22 PM.

swizzer2012 is offline Junior Member
    Wow. that's a good progress/improvement.

Thanks

It's exciting to make a major permanent life change when I know it's going to turn out well for my health and happiness and the rewards will only just keep coming. You can't buy that kind of certainty! I've been dealing with a heaping handful of different health issues for most of my life, and doctors have invariably been completely unhelpful. I knew everything had to be related somehow, because who really has that many small problems?

Just as a sample: I've been overweight and had asthma ever since I was a kid even though my parents were normal weight, I developed bipolar disorder while still in childhood, eventually ended up with a crippling anxiety disorder, have a rip-roaring case of PCOS, my hair falls out in handfuls, I'm almost never hungry, my feet and ankles are always swollen, my hands tend to swell up painfully a couple times a year for no observable reason, my skin is thin and dry and bruises easily, wounds take forever to heal, my body has a hard time regulating temperature (I can be both freezing and broiling at the same time on different parts of my body), there has never been any rhyme or reason to my sleep schedule and I typically end up swinging around the clock every couple weeks, I'm always absolutely exhausted and seem to dream the entire night without rest, I've always had an extremely slow and dysfunctional digestion process... What the hell do any of these things have in common?

I'm beginning to discover that it's largely (at the root) nutritional deficiencies. So I am super fucking interested in figuring this stuff out and correcting it so I can actually live a somewhat normal life for once. This stuff has robbed me of the majority of my life and I want it fixed!

So far I have found that melatonin gives me actual control over my sleep. I started taking it at the same time I started Primal and since then I have woken up promptly at dawn every morning. The sun begins to rise, my eyes open, and I'm awake! That has never happened before in my whole life. I've never been able to keep a predictable sleep schedule for more than a week or so, and I've rarely been able to sleep at night like a normal person. Also, based on everything I have been reading, it sounds like a lot of my issues are due to leptin resistance, which I'm now in the process of correcting because it follows along with Primal. I'm also going to try and do GAPS to fix my digestion issues, which also fits in well with Primal.

I am only a couple weeks in, and it will take months/years to see real results, but I am excited that I finally seem to be on the right path. I really don't give that much of a crap about my weight, only my health. But as my health improves, my weight will theoretically work somewhat like a physical barometer. Weight goes down = health goes up. So that will be exciting to see.

Here's to the future!

It's been a month! I have lost 16lbs of mostly fat. I want to do a run-through of all the changes that have happened so far.

In no particular order:
    - My keratosis pilaris is gone! My upper arms, butt, hips, and outer calves are totally smooth now.
    - My body feels different! My skin seems "thicker" and I have noticed a moderate loss of the softest portions of my fat.
    - The backs of my upper arms feel much firmer in addition to being smoother. It doesn't feel like my arms!
    - My inner thighs have shrunk slightly.
    - My butt shape is less weird.
    - Every part of me feels ever-so-slightly smaller than I am used to, and I can feel more muscle underneath.
    - I can more easily feel the contour of my hip bones.
    - My goiter has shrunk! I lost an inch of neck circumference and I can swallow easily now!
    - My knuckles aren't "innies" anymore..
    - My ankles are normal-sized now and my feet have lost girth! They actually look flat in the mirror now which is amazing.
    - My sex drive has awakened slightly.
    - I am able to tolerate (and even love) more bitter food now that I couldn't before.
    - I'm better at cooking! You can't slack off on preparing food every day when dipping into a can of Chef Boyardee and a tub of ice cream is no longer an option.
    - Hair loss seems to have calmed down slightly.

And now, what has stayed the same:
    - I still have a hard time regulating my body temperature, and end up sweating upon the slightest temp change.
    - My nose is still plugged up 90% of the time.
    - I am still out of breath by the 4th floor when walking up to my apartment.
    - My belly still hangs down.
    - Still not much of an appetite and I know I'm eating less than I ought to.
    - Still feeling guilty about eating when I am hungry due to money.
    - Still have some cravings for carrot cake and ice cream. But if it really comes down to it, I can make primal versions.

I'm quite happy with the changes I have seen so far and I'm confident that the ball will keep on rolling. If nothing else, it shows that when providing my body with the correct fuel, even with a minimum of effort and no ass-kicking cardio workouts, my body can change drastically in just a month. A lot of these changes are completely new territory for me. In the past, when I've lost weight, my body has still had basically the same firmness, and my skin has always been thin and bumpy and kind of puffy in places. No longer! I am convinced that I am finally on the right path and am finally giving my body what it needs.

Onward!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast