Thread: How do you figure macronutrients? page

How do you figure macronutrients?

Primal Fuel
    I'm confused about how to figure many grams of fat and protein I should have. Since I want to lose a lot of weight, I'll plan on 50-100 grams of carbs as Mark recommends. I would like to lose 2 pounds a week.

My husband and I were Primal at the very end of 2010/early 2011. We did quite well when we followed the plan. I lost around 35 pounds but we got off track and started again on Jan 1. So far, I've lost a little over 12 pounds and pleased. I know last time the weight loss slowed way down and that was very frustrating. This time I want to know the guidelines to keep the weight coming off and so I'll be able to know where I need to make adjustments.

Thanks for your insights.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    this all assumes you're counting calories, which is fine, but not always necessary...

so if the carb count is fixed (btw 50 - 100, you pick), and you know you want between .7 - 1.0 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight, then make up the caloric difference in fat! it's the fungible part of the equation.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelingBetterAlready View Post
    I'm confused about how to figure many grams of fat and protein I should have. Since I want to lose a lot of weight, I'll plan on 50-100 grams of carbs as Mark recommends. I would like to lose 2 pounds a week.

My husband and I were Primal at the very end of 2010/early 2011. We did quite well when we followed the plan. I lost around 35 pounds but we got off track and started again on Jan 1. So far, I've lost a little over 12 pounds and pleased. I know last time the weight loss slowed way down and that was very frustrating. This time I want to know the guidelines to keep the weight coming off and so I'll be able to know where I need to make adjustments.

Thanks for your insights.
    2 lbs/wk is a pretty good clip but sustainable; I'm currently doing about the same rate using the carb range you've chosen as well, so maybe my subjective experiences will be relevant. It helps to use a tool like fitday on several representative menus to titrate carbs to target level, verify minimum protein, and check for glaring deficiencies in other nutrients (not that the RDA figures mean much, but it gives you a checklist).

In practice I'm finding that if I keep a firm handle on the carb limit, the other things take care of themselves (fat, protein, caloric deficit). That is, I can trust my body to tell me how much protein it wants, and eating until satisfied takes care of the other two. Protein in particular seems to be self-limiting--beyond a certain point it's been hard to keep stuffing my face with steak, salmon, etc. Which leaves fat to make up the balance. It's the kind of fat, not the amount, that takes conscious effort to control. So I'd say pick good fats and eat them without worrying how many grams...60-70% calories from fat is not a bad thing IMO.

I can't say whether fasting and exercise are critical to sustaining weight loss, but I don't think they hurt the chances unless you're doing "Chronic Cardio". I do IF when I feel like it (only when not hungry, and no more than 24h max, dinner-to-dinner) and I'm also walking 4-8 miles most days. I've been using my perceived energy level (and objective pace stats) during those hikes as another signal: if I suddenly feel sluggish or inclined to take more than a few days off, I assume my metabolism is slowing, and I do a self-inventory to get it back on track (eat more & more frequently, re-verify macronutrient intake and supplements, make sure to get quality sleep). For me, that strategy has been enough to keep the weight loss steady over 10 months.

Other things to consider if weight loss isn't sustained would be 'on-the-fence' foods that stall some people (like dairy, soy, nightshades), exercise (are you doing a lot of slow movement, and/or are you overdoing high-intensity cardio?), sleep (are you getting enough?), stress (are you constantly in fight/flight mode at work?), plain old impatience (are you checking weight too often and getting hung up in statistical noise?)

Good luck to you and your H; hope you found some of this helpful!