Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over did my pull ups = elbow pain HELP! page

agustin is offline Junior Member

Over did my pull ups = elbow pain HELP!

Shop Now
    Hi everyone, in my attempt to get my first muscle-up, and also increase my pull ups rep count, for the second half of last year i trained mostly pull ups. Three or four times a week i was crankin from 50 to 100 pull ups per workout.Everything was going fine until i got a pull up bar at home, to do the "greasin the groove" thing namely crank a few reps each time i passed through the bar, but i didn't stop doing the long workouts.Well suddenly i started feeling a slight pain in my right elbow joint, precisely where the bicep starts.Now i can't pull one rep without pain not only that, i can't even do the motion of a bicep curl without weights and not feel any pain! In that motion, when my thumb touches my shoulder, when i lock the curl, that's when it hurts.
    Just needed some help regarding treatment or general pointers.
    for the record i stopped doing any kind of pulling exercises a month ago.
    Thanks in advance

jakey is offline Senior Member
    you should see a doctor, you may have a partial tear. at the very least, your body is saying: stop this behavior at once! listen to it.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    You done wore that groove out!!! take a break from that type of exercise for a couple weeks and see how it feels. Might just be tendinitis due to a bit of over stressing.

Grizz is offline Banned
    You need to invest in a rocking chair and sit out on the front porch to rock away.

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? Superman?

Grizz

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Yes, sounds like tendonitis. Do pushups (seriously). Also you can do a stretch where you twist your right arm so that your thumb rolls in towards your body then ends up pointing away with your palm facing forward. Then you hold your right hand with your left and twist it further, bending your elbow slightly, until you feel a good stretch in the elbow region.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Rest, and maybe ice (the cold water kind LOL!). An anti-inflammatory cream such as Voltaren gel may benefit but remember it is a painkiller also & do no heavy work (or pull ups!) while taking it
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

agustin is offline Junior Member
    Thanks a lot for the input guys/girls!
    i knew it 's kind of an extreme approach, and i should have known better, but i really bought the whole "the more you do a specific skill..." thing regarding pull ups.
    I was just trying to be AL KAVADLO!!! HAHA

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Rest, ice, compression wraps if needed and an anti-inflammatory perhaps

Rest means don't do anything that makes it hurt. Pay attention to this because its quite possible that as it heals it won't hurt DURING the activity but will hurt later.

Ice packs on the area for 20 minutes at least a couple times a day and especially right after any exercise where you may have stressed it a bit

Compression wraps if there is any swelling or if just having some support makes it hurt less.

Ibuprofen is a good thing for a while. You want to keep the inflammation down while it heals

Also if you find that a particular muscle is tight (and hence keeping some tension on a tendon) you might try some very focused self massage on that area too.

Johnparkers is offline Junior Member
    just stop doing it for a couple of days or month and start only when you get properly recovered

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    WTF, upto 100 pull ups at every work out and you work out four times a week, so 400 pull ups a week!!

Your doing too many pulls up man, I'm not surprised your got a sore elbow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast