Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 80/20 Delusions page

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member

80/20 Delusions

Shop Now
    When I read the PB, it was my understanding that the 20% applied to the program as a whole. But reading the forums, you see people who omit 3 or more entire rules(taking them down to a max compliance of 70%), and cheat on the ones they follow, and claim compliance.

Thoughts?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Isn't the 80/20 rule that up to 20% of calories can come from non paleo foods, rather than an indication of how many rules are to be followed?

Are you coming to this conclusion from reading detailed food logs in journals?
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-27-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: grammar
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    yeah, i think the 80/20 rule is horribly misunderstood. it's not supposed to be allowing cheating. a plate of spaghetti with a cookie dough ice-cream sauce is not part of the 20%...it's crap.
    the 80/20 rule is about aiming for 100% and hitting at least 80% for success. i eat conventional meats and vegetables if i can't afford grass fed and organic; that's my 20%.

granted, even mark likes to live outside his own primal laws and gobble up some crappy food...but it's a rare occurrence, not part of a weekly meal plan.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    I think Mark applies 80/20 to the food rule. How can you realistically (an sanely) apply the rule to moving frequently, or playing? for example
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    I thought the 20 was ONLY wine, dark chocolate, white rice, tubers and full fat home made ice cream with maple syrup and raw dairy, raw honey <----PB approved 'cheats'.

You mean, I could've had a plate of noodles or pie every day? Cause 2 paleo meals, 2 paleo snacks and 1 CW meal would make it 80/20, right? =P

LOL

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Wow, if people are assuming 80/20 means you can follow only 80% of the recommendations, that's really misinterpreted. I mean, just ignoring the recommendation to avoid industrial seed oils right there, just that one rule, probably guarantees failure right there. The 80/20 rule would say you avoid industrial seed oils all the time but acknowledge that at times you will probably end up eating some. Like this morning when I ate some scrambled eggs someone else made. The likelihood they were fried in grass-fed butter or bacon grease is probably zero. But when I make eggs myself they are cooked in grass-fed butter or bacon grease all the time.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, the 80/20 rule is there to keep people from going crazy (as I have been doing). I don't think it is possible for anyone to be 100% primal all the time, no matter how hard they try. Some conventionally raised meat, eggs, seafood, vegetables, etc. are going to get in from time to time.

I personally don't really spend time quantifying how often I'm not perfect about PB. It is probably more often than I think, even when I'm really trying. I am using the 80% rule as my sanity clause. I can't be perfect, and that's okay.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    I thought the 20 was ONLY wine, dark chocolate, white rice, tubers and full fat home made ice cream with maple syrup and raw dairy, raw honey <----PB approved 'cheats'.
    yep, but i would call these sensible indulgences...not necessarily foods that should be 20% of someone's diet (except maybe the tubers and rice for those who want more carbs).

jakey is offline Senior Member
    80/20 is fine... but if i hear anyone complain that they can't lose weight, and they're doing 80/20, i laugh. your problem is obvious.

i'll be honest, i use stevia and drink diet soda and chew sugarless gum. that's my 20. the food is clean, and the exercise is there.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Example of 20% = conventional meats, bacon, almond milk, non-organic vegetables, dark chocolate, stevia, wine and beer.
    Example of crap you should never eat: pizza, pasta, vegetable oils, cake and ice cream.

Chocolate cake isn't part of your 20%, bacon is part of your 20%.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast