Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type of protein powder? page

six Guest

Primal Fuel

For all of my fellow primal types who like to look a bit more visibly muscular with their shirt on and not just amazing sans the clothing: What specimen of protein powder (specifically whey, as the title suggests) do you use?

I personally use Optimum Nutrition Natural 100% Whey protein, I would like to use their egg protein but it has sucralose.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

I stick to the cheap GNC 100% Whey Protein. I know it isn't perfect but I use it so rarely, I would much rather have some eggs (and usually do), when I have serious dessert cravings.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

andalus is offline Junior Member

I like the reflex microwhey as it is much more purified and I don't get the side effects I got on standard whey (bloated etc). 98% free of lactose It's fast digesting so if you want it to digest slower mix it with something when you eat it. It also mixes with water which can be very convenient for people who need a quick shake or who don't drink milk.

Total Calories: 108

Protein: 26g

Total Carbohydrates: 0.2g

Fat: 0.3g

Sodium: 55mg

Potassium: 293mg

Digezyme: 50mg

Kane Guest

I'm using a whey isolate powder in chocolate nut flavour from myprotien.co.uk. Its beautiful, and mixes very nicely with water.

How many do you take a day?

A friend has told me to take 3 servings of 25g a day. Sound about right?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Don't use much protein anymore. If im in a rush I'll use raw eggs (only if they're top notch organic) and if I don't have the best of eggs, I'll go with Jay Robb's egg white protein.

And Kane what do you means 3x25 a day? Kind of a general statement that doesn't make much sense in my eyes. Especially if your not doing some type of liquid diet, or multiple workout a day program, I don't see why you would need 75g supplemental protein a day.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Six, not sure if you would go for it because it is expensive, and Mark just posted his opinion on these types of protein powders... but Grass-fed whey is amazing. Very expensive though. Might as well just buy some grass-fed meats and eat those.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. I haven't had to re-stock since going paleo. The ingredients do list a few unpronounceable words, but I don't feel any negative effects from it. However, unprocessed is unprocessed, so when I have to re-stock next, I'll probably look for a more Paleo-compliant powder (key word: more).

Zophie is offline Senior Member

I like Super advanced whey protein made by Body Fortress. The last ingredient is sucralose. It does have 3g sugar and 5g carbs, but it makes up for it with a wopping 52g of protein. It is not a meal relpacer it is more for bulking up or recovery after training.

Another thought I have is bee pollen. If you don't have allergies it could be a good option. Not only is Bee pollen is rich in protein and B12 it contains nearly all nutrients required by humans. The cool part about it is half of the protein is in the form of free amino acids that are ready to be used directly by the body.

six Guest

I will definitely look into the grass fed protein A.S. but I disagree that 3X25 doesn't make much sense... I drink 2-3 scoops of 25g protein powder 6 times a week; that being said I also train hard 6 times a week and I am some what of a hard gainer. I choose whey do to its fast digestion over whole foods sources and no side effects (such as bloating like andalus experiences) and have been able to gain muscle mass while staying ~7% BF, but still like to see alternatives since whey protein powder is my least primal source of nutrients.

And bee pollen? That sounds very interesting I am surprised I have never once heard about it before.

PrimalCon New York

Oh Im not saying it's not appropriate under certain circumstances. What I was saying was critiquing his friend who gave the advice you should drink whey 3 times a day. Thats one of those cookie cutter like statements I tend to gravitate away from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast