Thread: Surprised to not find anything on Wheat Grass page

Drex Guest

Primal Fuel

Just wondering what everyone's take on Wheat Grass is? I recently started growing my own at home and juicing it.

grandma is offline Member

It didn't enter the (western) human food stream until the 1930's forced by a food chemist. It's a new food, my great-grandma would have called it cattle feed, so I'll get mine after the cows have finished processing it, thank you. One local grass-fed producer puts his cattle into a field of it from time to time. Probably as good as any other grass.

With a little more research I see that it is totally indigestible by humans unless juiced to remove all the cellulose, the claims of B12 come not from the grass itself but the microrganisms that grow on it. The juice is 70% chlorophyll which I don't think is any benefit to humans. I'll stick with spinach. That is much closer to the leafy greens that Grok would have found.

Sorry, I don't mean to be harsh, it just seems a bit like snake oil to me --- on the other hand snake oil might be good stuff -- high in omega-3 animal fat. Very primal.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Karin Guest

Seems harmless enough...If you like the taste, go for it. It's got some vitamins and whatnot.

I doubt it's the cure to everything-that-has-ever-(physically)-ailed-mankind as some proponents seem to be claiming...And it's overpriced if you aren't growing it (which you say you are). I say "why not?" And why not grow some other herbs and greens and things while you are at it. Do-it-yourself organic gardening rocks.

Popa Murph Guest

I take a shot of barley grass(just like wheat grass) every morning. For me it provides more stable(no crash) and longer energy than several cups of coffee. I really like the stuff. It might not be primal but in my opinion it has merit.

marci Guest

if I have a shot when hungry it seems to hold me over, not sure why

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member

I put a scoop of powdered wheat grass into my morning spinach-banana smoothie.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

My worry would be the lectins. I've trained myself that wheat-[anything] = grain = bad/don't consume. Maybe they aren't present in the juice of the grass? Anyone know?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

It's grass. Wheat, oat, or blue. In famine times, people eat grass. They still starve. It's a strange way to get nutrition, we do not have four stomachs. My guess is that if it staves off hunger it's mostly/all psychological. It sure isn't fat or complete protein, the only macronutrients that will get rid of hunger pangs. Broccoli or spinach, just as good. Easy to find, prepare, eat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatgrass

grandma is offline Member

LOL --- in times of famine people eat shoe leather too!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.