Thread: I need some insight on training page

The Scott is offline Member

I need some insight on training

Primal Fuel
    I currently have about 25 lbs of fat that i want to loose. Im not a fitness noob by any means. I personally have enjoyed focusing my workouts towards conditioning. I have been a bodubuilder, I have been a boxer, and have a very large library of exercise.

Currently Im doing p90x with insanity, this week (which is my first week of pb) is my re-prime week so I havent lifted or done anything at all. One reason is my metabolism was apparently all screwed up so I decided to drop my carbs to about 20 for the last week and knew that going back after training like I was while switching over would be counter productive.

My question is from those who have been in there life gym rats and love to lift and grow, did you maintain your traditional workouts? Did you have to switch because of volume versus recovery? Have you been able to continue to grow while primal?

I truly like bodyweight movements and honestly being a long limbed man, my bench has always sucked and never stimulated my chest however, pushups and variants have made my chest grow like nothing else ever has.

Back on point: Im trying to figure out if changing is a benefit or a gamble to my goals. My goals is to get my weight in the 200 range at around 8% and as narrow (lean) as possible at the hips.

Am I just rambling or does anyone know what Im talking about?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    How often are you doing those videos? If every day, then it's too much.

Fitness is easier than you think, actually. Walk. Lift. Sprint.

The lifting part has a lot of options, but PBF, SimpleFit, and Convict Conditioning are all good programs with minimal equipment requirements.

Hazy1966 is offline Member
    Hi The Scott,

I'm a noob to PB as well, but have been training for decades. Your situation sounds a lot like mine, as I am at 20% bodyfat and want to lose around 20 pounds of it.

What I have always found, and it seems to be reinforced here, is that fat loss is more about diet than exercise. Eliminating all processed carbs, and keeping your overall carb intake to under 100g per day (from veg and fruit) will go a long way to burning off the blubber. Your protein intake should be around .7 to 1g per pound of lean body weight per day, and the rest of your food intake from good fats. I've only been PB for a month now, and it is working for me like nothing else ever has. I just have to remember to keep my fats intake high, which is a foreigh concept to me.

As far as your training goes,

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Fitness is easier than you think, actually. Walk. Lift. Sprint.
    The lifting part has a lot of options, but PBF, SimpleFit, and Convict Conditioning are all good programs with minimal equipment requirements.
    Absolutely........I pretty much follow the PBF routine, and have been pleasantly surprised with the results so far.

Good luck )

The Scott is offline Member
    Thanks fellas. My general rotation is m-w-f lift and tues and thrus insanity. As far as the diet, ive essentially been no carb (except for a shot of dewars last night) i had to get myself straightened out with sugar and such so none other than spinnach. This week will be kept around 30. I have noticed a lot more inspired to randomly knock out pushups. I think i will leep hittong a couple hundred a day for a while for fun
    Last edited by The Scott; 01-29-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    There aren't any carbs in Scotch BTW. Doing that schedule with no carb is "Insanity". Eat some carbs for Christ's sake. It is not going to affect your fat loss (in a bad way) and your workouts will be better. You simply can't replace glycogen on sustained VLC with lifting and HIITing like that. I would schedule some refeed (post workout or whatever).
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 01-30-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had to stop ZC/VLC because I just couldn't lift effectively on it. Once carbs were added back in, I was good to go.