Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here with very basic question... page

justkeepswimming is offline Junior Member

Newbie here with very basic question...

Shop Now
    I hope I don't annoy anyone here with this question, but I am just starting a new life after a long illness and I am very excited to start Primal living...and it is going to take some time for me to digest all the information and I was hoping to get an answer to a very basic 101 question...caloric intake.

If I burn between 2800-3400 a day, could someone please outline what my maintenance, refeed etc...days should be? I would appreciate so very much. I don't want to have the wrong numbers from the start!

Thank you...you all are so full of knowledge and expertise...I am looking forward to all of it!

dado Guest
    i won't outline anything for you

primal isn't about counting calories, it's about doing the least work possible in both diet and fitness

so forget the numbers and get in touch with your Raw Balls Nature (RBN)

If I am trying to restore caloric homeostatis though, I thought I needed a number? I am sorry to be a pest, but I am confused.

dado Guest
    that's crap, man.

you're not a pest, i'm here to help people.

look i don't know about all those big words, i'm just a dumb peasant, but what you need to do is forget everything you know and really understand that this is very simple. it's so simple that you will feel you are stupid for thinking it's so simple.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    What I love about primal: no calorie counting. I learned to eat to satiety and body composition still improved. And, eating to satiety is different amounts on different days depending on how active (or not) I've been. IF you want to get into calorie counting, I think Mark does have a little bit in the book about it....towards the end maybe? It's been a while since I've read it.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been eating Primal?

If it's only been a few months or less, I wouldn't worry about the extras like refeeds and stuff. Just go with the basics, learn how your body reacts to different foods and let it heal before you try anything different.

I know you think we're nuts saying this, but we're serious - don't worry about the calories. Track the foods you're eating on something like FitDay or Livestrong without worrying about calories, and if you're not happy with the results 2 months down the road then fine. Look and see if you're eating some outrageous amount. But to be honest, you're more likely to find a problem with the fat/protein/carb ratio than with the number of calories.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Eat a little. Eat a little more. And a little more. When you're satisfied/full, stop.

Repeat.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    you want to know the secret to paleo?

if you're hungry, eat. if you're not, don't.

Sorry all...I am recovering from an ED and it is all very new to me.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justkeepswimming View Post
    Sorry all...I am recovering from an ED and it is all very new to me.
    REcovering from an ED is a different animal. Start with aiming for 2800. Don't get wrapped up in the numbers, if you're shy or over, it's not the end of the world. You just want an average in that range. Eventually (depending on how long the ED had you in it's grips), you'll start being able to rely on "eat when you're hungry, don't if you're not." Just don't go obsessive over it (counterproductive and stress inducing, not worth it) and you'll eventually get there.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast