Thread: Nutty Question page

Dragonfly32 is offline Member

Nutty Question

Primal Fuel
    Re nuts and seeds, weston price classes them the same as grains, full of phytic acid and needing to be soaked and dried before consumption, do you all do this? or can you just eat them raw? I question whether because they are full of phytic acid we should be consuming them at all as we have cut grains partly for this very reason, ive found that i bloat and stall/gain weight eating raw nuts but isthis an allergy or b/c the phytic acid is blocking nutrient absorption?
    curious as to your thoughts thank you

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat them often...
    For weight loss they are actually pretty carby. Nut portions are very small and very easy to over do.

I do eat them raw or roasted on occasion in small amounts because I like them. But that really isn't too often (Except in summer when I sometimes get into making fake ice cream from frozen banana in the food processor a few times a week... and add a handful of walnuts and chopped dark choc so that it tastes like "Chunky Monkey"... LOL). At times I like them for their easy portability... like if I have to ride in the car all day for a trip. I pack other things too though like fruit or veg snacks, and portion the nuts out so I don't eat a load of them.

Some people around here seem to think that all nuts (except coconuts) are straight from the DEVIL... I just figure maybe they should be mostly avoided for weight loss. They are a decent primal food IMO, if you respect quantity issues.

I do drink almond milk that I make myself; abut a half cup per day. The almonds I use are raw, soaked for 24 hours,and the soak water is discarded... 1/2 cup is the equivalent of MAYBE 10 almonds wizzed up with water... and about 90% of the nut is then strained out as pulp and discarded....
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

joej627 is offline Member

Nuts

They are one of those foods that it is really easy to overdo, yea. I always soak mine overnight and then dehydrate them. They are a lot easier to digest. Walnuts are especially good because of omega-3. The key i have found to watching portion sizes is to measure out 1/4 cup portions into plastic bags. If I just have a huge bag of cashews sitting around, WATCH OUT.

dado Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

i'm not about to start soaking nuts. when you feel nutty, you grab some.