Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal results vs. Body for life results page 2

Grumpycakes is online now Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I will never understand how someone can eat just ONE egg.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member

Only if it's an ostrich egg! Haha

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

No where near enough fat and/or protein. Still way too many carbs. What is Muscle Milk Light? Doesn't sound very Primal to me.

As many here will tell you, steer away from nuts. They seem to do weight loss harm way beyond the calories. Some pretty knowledgeable folk attribute this to the high content of PUFA's.

stinika Guest

I know the Muscle Milk light wasn't optimal; but I grabbed it on the way out and drank it. The last one I had was probably 2 months ago.

More fat? I'm not trying to "not" have fat... how would I bump up the fat in these meals?

I usually don't have the sweet potato either - but I did today as a "trial".

Dinner was filet mignon a salad and the rest of the sweet potato with sour cream, butter and cheese.

Also had some papaya (I know... more carbs

So... for tomorrow what do you suggest for my breakfast?

2 hardboiled eggs? (one at 7;30 and one at 10?) I just don't know what else to eat here.

Then dinner leftovers for lunch.

I guess i'm just a little stuck. Maybe coconut milk and papaya too?

I have string cheese that I could bring.

It just needs to be easy, clean, and something that I have at home.

Thanks again. I'm determined to get the primal thing down. More fat... hmmmm.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

My apologies for not reading the entire thread...short on time. Many people have a hard time losing weight on a primal diet due to a huge calorie consumption. When you're eating a lot of fat it's very easy to blow your BMR out of the water. Some here will tell you calories aren't that important, but at the end of the day it matters. You can't eat unlimited calories of anything and not worry about gaining weight. Many times it requires several weeks or months of research on a good nutritional website to see what specific portions contain. Once you learn about the foods you eat on a normal basis you don't need to count anymore, you just know how much to eat.

stinika Guest

So I should then cut back on my food? I thought that I should try to up my food a little more as well as fat.

I used to be obsessive compulsive about counting my calories and I really can't go back there. That's why I liked BFL - it was basic. THat's why I was drawn to Primal eating as well.

Mom2DisneyGirl Guest

stinika- I too like you started Primal Eating for the weight loss reasons. I have been eating Primal for about 4 months now and while I have only lost 10 lbs, I feel a world of difference. I did Body for Life also about 8 years ago and lost 30 lbs. It really is a good program.

What you describe in your original post seems to me like you are putting your body in starvation mode and it’s hanging onto whatever you give it. One egg after an intense workout session. Primal Child is right, how can anyone eat just one egg!? Also, Muscle Milk (while my protein drink of choice even as soon as a year ago) is not the best thing to use for recovery. Since you’re a Body for Life girl, you might want to try drinking EAS Betagen post workout. 0 gms sugar.

That’s what I drink post workout. Then, an hour later I eat like a Primal Queen! I usually have two eggs scrambled in butter with goat cheese, ½ a bunch of spinach with sun-dried tomatoes and olive oil, and 3 slices of bacon. An excellent primal meal, lots of good protein and fat and even some veggies! Keeps you fueled up and ready to tackle your day. Plus, it’s a really good meal for fueling those muscles you just beat up!!!!

Like you, I suffer from eating disorder issues (binge eating in my case). Primal Eating has really helped me begin to conquer those demons. I don’t crave the junk I used to because I’ve freed not just my body, but my brain’s addiction to those foods. And that’s what it is, an addiction…to the sugar, the cane juices, the “ingredients” in the products like ketchup and bbq sauce that you don’t even think about. You can be eating a great hamburger and the simple act of adding processed ketchup to it means you just added sugar to your meat and triggered that part of your brain that craves SWEET.

I make all my own condiments now. Cook a bunch of foods on one of the weekend days, so they are ready to grab during the week. My husband loves that too since he works from home. I can pack my breakfast and lunch meals for heading out the door in the morning and he has the fridge stocked!

You’re not going to lose 30 lbs in a month…..this isn’t Biggest Primal Loser! It may take your body a while to adapt to this new lifestyle. But, it will be worth it if you just believe in it and give it a chance….that’s what you had to do when you did Body for Life…so give the Primal Lifestyle the same chance. It’s a way to rid your body of the obsessive eating that we as Americans have come to think is “normal”. I look at the Primal lifestyle as a way to improve my overall health and fitness and, in time, lose the weight my body needs to lose.

Good luck!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I'm no expert, but my own impression is that you are not eating enough early in the day, especially if you workout. I know you don't want to count calories but maybe you could do it for a few days just to make sure you are consuming enough.

Why not try having your main evening meal when you feel hungry at 3-4? If you are hungry your body is telling you it needs something. For some reason I don't find eating nut based meals very satisfying even if they are the same calories and so I am focussing on meat which seems to fill me up for longer (I guess someone is going duh, but hey I'm learning!). Just some suggestions from a newbie, so sorry if the advice is a bit off.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

I definitely agree that you're not eating nearly enough early in the day and so of course you're famisihed by 4! Also, more fats would be good, I find if I don't have enough fats in my meal I get really hungry a few hours later.

If you read what Mom2DisneyGirl wrote as her breakfast... that's similar to what I'll eat. 2 eggs (usually scrambled, but not always) cooked in either butter or bacon fat, a couple of strips of bacon and some avocado and/or some goat cheese with the eggs. This will usually hold me over for 5 hours pretty easily. Then I eat a big ass salad for a late lunch (greens, peppers, cucumbers, walnuts, chicken or tuna/salmon, with olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. Then usually I only need a small snack in the evening.

My other comment would be that if you do still continue having processed/bready carbs or sugar... you can still be having carb/sugar crashes. I happen to be super sensitive to carb/sugar cravings and if I have any I will be hungry/craving/crashing no matter what the rest of my diet looks like. So for me, eliminating them completely is the only thing that works for me. I know that's not the same for everybody, but it's something you may want to test out for a couple of weeks and see how you respond.

Hope this helps a little!!

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Kent Hawley is offline Junior Member

There are big differences between BFL and PB. However, the biggest is in the eating. Instead of planning for 6 meals a day as with BFL, PB requires only that you eat when you are hungry, and sometimes not even then (when fasting). You might eat four meals, maybe three, maybe two, maybe none.

The kinds of food one eats on PB will keep you satisfied MUCH longer than the food in BFL will. The good fats in a PB meal, will keep your hunger under control. I know when I eat bacon and eggs and leafy greens with V/O dressing, I stay satisfied much longer than I did when I ate a BFL meal of three egg whites and a small potato. I was always hungry on BFL, and I couldn't find time in the day to make all those meals.

So maybe you're eating too often. I still think sometimes that I have to eat because it is time to eat, not because I am hungry. Maybe that's the case for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast