Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Erie Perch

The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.

Lake Erie Perch

Shop Now
    I live about three stone throws from the beach on Lake Erie. I grew up loving fresh deep fried or pan fried perch. I have access to someone who has caught a lot and was offered a bunch.

How is the fat in these fish compared to ocean caught fish? Is it worthwhile getting for more than the taste?

A fellow Grokker in Eire?!?! Could it be?!?!

dado Guest
    lake erie has strong fat in the fish

Perhaps because I'm an Ohioan, whenever I think of Lake Erie, I think of the Cuyahoga River....which caught on fire...and then I take a pass on eating any fish from Lake Erie, haha!

The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Perhaps because I'm an Ohioan, whenever I think of Lake Erie, I think of the Cuyahoga River....which caught on fire...and then I take a pass on eating any fish from Lake Erie, haha!
    I thought you Ohioans got that river cleaned up, and those European Zebra Mussels got the rest of the lake cleaned up. I know when I have been out on and in the water it is much clearer.

"lake erie has strong fat in the fish" So this is a good thing?

"A fellow Grokker in Eire?!?! Could it be?!?!" Yup - out in Fairview, where are you, What sources for meats have you found?

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Funny - I thought the same thing, but they really have cleaned up their act from 50 yrs ago!

I'm sure that there has been some recent testing about fish contaminants - check it out - and if OK then enjoy!

Eh, not sure. I know the EPA sued Akron recently for dumping sewage into the river. I think the Zebra Mussels, which are not native, are also creating problems. I think I read that PCBs are high in Lake Erie fish. Googling, I see that Ohio recommends eating perch (and other fish) from Lake Erie only once a month because of the contaminants.

Ohio Sport Fish Consumption Advisory - Limit Meals

Once a year would probably be all right..

Ok, it's been a while since I took a dip in each of the Great Lakes- but Erie was the only warm one- and the only one my sibs and I didn't spend any significant time in. Eew. I wouldn't eat fish from there- and I do eat fish and crabs from the Chesapeake Bay.

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    I was raised on the Maumee River in Ohio, which dumps into Lake Erie near Toledo. We ate walleye, perch, catfish, pike, and bass several times a month when I was a kid. Last summer I went back and caught some catfish, when I mentioned eating them everybody said NOOOOO! I called the local Fish and Game guy and he said it is recommended to eat catfish only once or twice a year, perch were like once or twice a month--they had a list of the fish and contaminates contained in them. (See Lexie's post above!)

That said, I ate the catfish--they were delicious! However, they do indeed contain contaminates, so enjoy sparingly if at all.

Now that I'm primal, I would not eat them fried. Not sure how to cook perch that isn't rolled in flour and deep fried. I guess you could sautee the fillets in butter.
    Last edited by otzi; 01-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.