Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB & Breastfeeding page

_Wifey_ is offline Junior Member

PB & Breastfeeding

Primal Fuel
    I've been dabbling with eating primally for a few months, but I really really really want it to work. My biggest problem (IMO) is that I'm breastfeeding a toddler. On days where he doesn't nurse that much, I seem to do just fine avoiding his snack foods & too much fruit. However, when he is having one of those "I'm not going to eat a single thing you put in front of me, so nurse me now woman!" days, I find myself reaching for his quick snacks & our dried fruit because I'm feeling like "OMG need sugar now!". Are there any other primal bfing mommas out there with tips or suggestions? Please? Even if I try to indulge sensibly, I tend to binge like an addict. :'(

Linny is offline Senior Member
    The only thing I can think to suggest is to up your calories by almost 1000 a day. It takes approximately 700 calories a day to produce breastmilk. When he nurses more he's signaling to your body to up production and if you're not consuming enough calories you will likely get cravings.

Debbah is offline Junior Member
    I try to have leftovers ready in the fridge for quick food. Walnuts are a quick, satisfying snack, too. I try to make my family a big, low carb breakfast before the baby wakes up, and that keeps me satisfied until she naps. Usually eggs and bacon (or sausage), occasionally some veggies.
    Starting Weight - 280 (4/23/11)
    Current Weight - 202 (3/1/12)

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    You're nursing, binge all you want, good to get some calories in you like someone else said above.
    Want snack ideas?

High fat cheeses
    Avocado
    Make a huge batch of pulled pork shoulder; dig at it with a fork
    Meatballs
    Liverwurst slices
    Liver pate
    Cheese crisps
    Coconut chips (sold as large flakes, yummy to munch on)

Also, read through these previous questions if you haven't already.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

_Wifey_ is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone! abstractpersona - how did you find all these posts?!?! I tried searching the forums & ended up with a bunch of results & by page 5 I'd given up that any of them had anything to do with bfing.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I would go for protein rather than sugar. And then stuff some of whatever you ate into your kid. (LOL. I nursed my girl until she was 3 - I know how that goes!)

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I'm breastfeeding my 15month old and honestly I just eat whatever I want as long as it's primal. I try and have big meal when she naps but she doesn't always nap so on those days I graze a lot.

Some days she feeds more than others, some days I'm hungrier that others. If I'm hungry, I eat. I think that is one of the big reasons PB has been so successful for me I never think, oh I've eaten too much today, no more. I just follow my body's (and my baby's)lead
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Chattyprincess is offline Junior Member
    Yep, I am in your boat mama! I have no answers but will commiserate with you! I actually have just been a lurker for a long time on here and joined just to post on your thread.
    I have an 18 month old nursing baby and also am one of the lucky ladies who cannot for the life of me lose weight while nursing (insanely frustrating considering I would love to lose 30 lbs!) ! Right now I am not even close to worry about my weight (well sort of lol) I just try to eat well, which for the last week has been a major fail. But back on the boat in the morning! I agree that when baby nurses more my body goes C.R.A.Z.Y. I have not found any information yet but have not really looked however I have a feeling that the body needs quick sugars/glucose what have you from the body to make more milk quickly, the more they nurse the more your body NEEDS FUEL NOW and this in turn makes you crave the fastest food to sugar thing you can consume...which just so happens to be you guessed it SUGAR. lol
    I do find that a really good high fat breakfast eggs, about 2 with cheese in them, bacon/sausagee and a spoonful of coconut cream tides me over amazingly well. I struggle horribley at lunch time. I generally love salads but when baby is nursing like crazy all forms of salads become gross to me. I find myself snacking alot. I have started making deviled eggs and keeping them in the fridge for quick snacks. I really crave flavors of junky/sugary when baby is nursing alot, or when especially sleep deprived. I also find if I do not satisfy those cravings then I spend a lot of time eating crap I don't really want...
    I eat alot of coconut cream and have started looking up some paleo "junk" food so that I can maybe meet those cravings, Im sure this goes 100% against what most people would advise but I find this a big enough struggle to not use junk food as my crutch that eating some blueberry butter balls ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8256.html) is the least of my worries!
    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear some other advice on this matter too, especially in how tto prevent the physical cravings!

I breastfed three and never lost a pound. I actually gained weight. I'd do it all over again 10 times though. Nothing compares.

One thing I am totally for is eating for two while nursing. The PB is a beautiful way to keep up supply and strength. I understand the sweet tooth while nursing because of the constant depletion of whatever it is nursing depletes. I would be willing to bet Xylitol would cure the sugar cravings. It's made from a natural plant and contains no dextrose or maltodextrin. It's about zillionth as nasty as Stevia. I use it all of the time. You can make chocolate with it using coconut oil and unsweetened high quality cocoa powder. You can pretty much avoid the fruit that way. I wouldn't avoid fruit though, if you crave something sweet a couple times a day you can whip some heavy cream, add some Xylitol to the heavy cream and dollop it over strawberries. Boy oh boy. Some people might be all hyper about sugar substitutes but I have yet to experience a problem with Xylitol or Stevia.
    Try to trick your psyche into thinking it's had a sugar snack. At 18 months, you are allowed to let baby cry for a moment while you gather your nutrition. I promise! Can she pick up your boob yet? That's very convenient but also very frightening in public.

a faster way of whipping cream is in a large metal mixing bowl

oh man I'm all over the place in this post. I need sleep
    A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points - Alan Kay

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Wifey_ View Post
    Thanks everyone! abstractpersona - how did you find all these posts?!?! I tried searching the forums & ended up with a bunch of results & by page 5 I'd given up that any of them had anything to do with bfing.
    Hmm all I did was type "breastfeeding" (without the quotes) on the search box.
    Hope the threads were helpful :-)
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast