Thread: Moving from P90x to PBF - should be interesting page

rosie1973 is offline Junior Member

Moving from P90x to PBF - should be interesting

Primal Fuel
    So after like 1.5 years of using all the p90x dvds to keep in shape, mixing cardio sessions with random things here and there like bike rides, walks, etc. I finally got so sick of those videos and so tired of spending an hour each day doing them that I decided to look for a change.

For some reason I've never totally bought into this idea that doing less can actually get you in better shape. Always afraid to attempt it and losing all the benefits of what I'd gained, I kept on. But I've recently discovered SimpleFit, BODYROCKtv, and PBF. I've done a few days and my interest in working out has definitely changed. If I can work hard for 20 minutes and be DONE? Yes, please.

So I'm just wondering what kinds of changes everyone here may have experienced going from something more intense like p90x to PBF - how your bodies changed? What you experienced? I'm expecting I'll lose some muscle, which is fine. I'm a girl, I'd like to look leaner. I don't totally see how doing a few planks will sustain my core the way it currently is...but I'm willing to try it. Oh, and by the way, I eat almost 100% primal.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    As a male who has done several workups of strength training in my life and who has been doing PBF exclusively since september I can assure you that PBF will give you some unexpected gains. The progressions are more intense than you probably think. I consider it high intensity, low volume.

I am currently worked up to the highest levels and getting ready to order a 50 pound vest to repeat(once I master plyometric pullups and muscle ups).

As far as strength and muscle gains I have gained Some great shoulder and ab strength. My chest and legs have always been incredibly strong and I have maintained that while gaining skills at moving my body through space.

Just jump in and enjoy the days off at first(your body probably will respond better than you imagine to lowering volume), as you progress you will find that you need every one of those days off. Enjoy and good luck with your journey!
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

thanks for the input! sounds like its working for you. its good to hear. its funny how just last night I was nay saying the planks and I woke up this morning with some pretty sore abdominals. ;-)

as far as moving slowly...in this first week I've decided to get off the train (I live in Chicago) about 6 stops away from my apartment and walking the rest of the way. We'll see how I feel about that when it gets into the single digits! But for now it works.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    When I left basic training, I had been doing at least 2 workout sessions per day, plus any additional punishments. I went to my advanced training and started working out three times a week. I experienced a huge jump in the first month, and got progressively better for the next six months.

Just a few comments on how its going for me now that I've been doing this about 3 weeks now.

I can tell that I am keeping the same strength and muscle, however I am burning substantially fewer calories working out less and I am seeing a little padding being added on. I haven't gained weight, per se, but I'm puffier.

The first week I felt like I was leaning out big time, but that swung the other direction after a few more weeks.

Also to be noted, and I don't know if this is related or not - but I started getting migraines for the first time ever in my life last week. I think it has to do more with a hormonal imbalance, I am on HRT (bio identical) due to an early onset perimenopause (I'm 38) and so this doesn't totally suprise me, but I wonder if the change in my workout routine added to it in some way. ?

Not really questions, just wonderings and observations.

driftwood is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie1973 View Post
    So after like 1.5 years of using all the p90x dvds to keep in shape, mixing cardio sessions with random things here and there like bike rides, walks, etc. I finally got so sick of those videos and so tired of spending an hour each day doing them that I decided to look for a change.

For some reason I've never totally bought into this idea that doing less can actually get you in better shape. Always afraid to attempt it and losing all the benefits of what I'd gained, I kept on. But I've recently discovered SimpleFit, BODYROCKtv, and PBF. I've done a few days and my interest in working out has definitely changed. If I can work hard for 20 minutes and be DONE? Yes, please.

So I'm just wondering what kinds of changes everyone here may have experienced going from something more intense like p90x to PBF - how your bodies changed? What you experienced? I'm expecting I'll lose some muscle, which is fine. I'm a girl, I'd like to look leaner. I don't totally see how doing a few planks will sustain my core the way it currently is...but I'm willing to try it. Oh, and by the way, I eat almost 100% primal.
    I did p90x for about 6months. Was Bringing IT more than the folks on tv ha. I did get leaner, way leaner and more cut. Eventually I got injured cause I was going so intense all the time and just like the book mentions about suffering from chronic cardio etc. Anyways, since then I have switched to gymnastic strength training which is alot similar to body weight etc. I don't do much cardio but have started to work it back in gentle.

As far as workouts - It does take me 20mins and to be honest I have gained more in month than I did with p90x. No lies. I also feel incredibly strong. I work out 3 times a week of which 2 are strength training (3x5) and the last day more reps 8-10 for muscle mass.

It's also interesting that when I am done, that adrenaline rush or whatever you call it feels so great and at the same time so relaxing. I used to get that after p90x and get the same feeling in 20 mins.

For what it's worth.