Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: LIFTERS- smith machine: love it or hate it page 2

  1. #11
    cline's Avatar
    cline is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    37
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah. the other night I was doing squats with the rack and a dude told me to go use the smith machine in the other room. I had to tell him no three times.

    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i love smith machines. back when i went to a gym, i could use them for all sorts of things. they are great to hang from or lean against while stretching. if you lock the bar up high, they are decent for pull ups. and, the best thing of all...they're great for keeping people away from the squat rack where real working out happens.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i love smith machines. back when i went to a gym, i could use them for all sorts of things. they are great to hang from or lean against while stretching. if you lock the bar up high, they are decent for pull ups. and, the best thing of all...they're great for keeping people away from the squat rack where real working out happens.
    that pretty much says it all. but don't forget you can do australian pullups on them too

  3. #13
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,783
    The only think I use SM for is for the off the floor pull-ups, whatever they are called Never tried it for squats. I keep wanting to adopt it for calf rises that are included in insane quantity in the Ultimate Diet 2.0 routines, but am too lazy....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  4. #14
    dragonmamma's Avatar
    dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i don't know if you can get proper form on a smith machine.
    I would have agreed with you last year, because I always thought that a proper squat produced a slightly curved forward/backward arc with the barbell. But then I saw an interesting breakdown of the movement (I'm thinking it was at T-Nation?) where they took videos of pros squatting with perfect form from a side view, and they super-imposed a red line over the movement of the bar which showed that it was perfectly straight up and down with no forward/backward shifting of the body at all. It surprised me.

  5. #15
    ASmallOne's Avatar
    ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loooooooooooooong frickin island
    Posts
    293
    one big advantage of the smith for me is that my gym is relatively un populated-- if i'm trying to do a really heavy weight that I'm not sure about, the smith we have is "safer" than loading up the bar in an empty gym because it's got little latches on it to catch the bar if it falls too far during bench press or something. otherwise...i prefer the bench and the oly platform.

    it's also nice for chin ups when you are too short to reach the chin up bar that some goliath must have mounted ON THE CEILING like 10 feet up. I've never seen anyone use that thing!
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

    For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    I would have agreed with you last year, because I always thought that a proper squat produced a slightly curved forward/backward arc with the barbell. But then I saw an interesting breakdown of the movement (I'm thinking it was at T-Nation?) where they took videos of pros squatting with perfect form from a side view, and they super-imposed a red line over the movement of the bar which showed that it was perfectly straight up and down with no forward/backward shifting of the body at all. It surprised me.
    this is true. but, one can't learn the proper form and motion or develop the proper supporting muscles while using a smith machine. so using a smith machine in order to push a weight up a fixed plane using any form you seem fit is not a good idea

  7. #17
    Dirlot's Avatar
    Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by cline View Post
    Yeah. the other night I was doing squats with the rack and a dude told me to go use the smith machine in the other room. I had to tell him no three times.
    What did he want it for, barbell-curls?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  8. #18
    cline's Avatar
    cline is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    What did he want it for, barbell-curls?
    ha ha! I wish. No, he just didn't want me in the weightlifing area. He was doing some jumping thing (not really a burpee) and there was plenty of room. I think, honestly, he didn't like having a woman in there. He didn't tell the guy doing calf raises in the other rack to go use the smith machine. The gym went co-ed about 10 years ago and a lot of the guys still take big issue with it. There are almost never women in the weight rooms. If they are, they are on machines.

  9. #19
    unchatenfrance's Avatar
    unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    788
    Probably the only decent use for a Smith machine:
    Mistressing the pullup :: stumptuous.com

  10. #20
    jens522's Avatar
    jens522 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    565
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    this is true. but, one can't learn the proper form and motion or develop the proper supporting muscles while using a smith machine. so using a smith machine in order to push a weight up a fixed plane using any form you seem fit is not a good idea
    This.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •