Thread: I hurt my back :( page

Troglodyte is offline Member

I hurt my back :(

Shop Now
    I was doing so well. My workouts were hot and I was progressing. I just started gaining some size and now, I am out.

Don't laugh, but I injured my back either playing WII boxing or it was the 40 lbs kettle bell squats that I did earlier in the day-I really can't figure it out. The kettles reposition the weight sort of behind you when you let them hang in contrast to regular squats.

I don't know, but I am on muscle relaxers and advil..........bummed!

I don't think I blew out my spine-I believe it is muscular because the Flexeril helps.
    Τρωγλοδῦται

UK Guy is offline Senior Member
    How low were you going with your squats? If you don't mind me asking. Did you go so low that you lost the natural curvature of your spine. That could have had something to do with it. Rounding of the lower back at the bottom...just to get a good deep squat is not going to be good for the back when you add a load as well.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    UK Guy is right,squats are great for your back and entire posterior chain,just like KB swings,but doing either with bad form can lead to some nasty injuries.Be sure to anchor your weight in your heels,grip the ground with your toes,tighten your abs and stick out your chest,keep a natural arch in your back,and sit back and down with your hips leading the movement.Only go as low as you can without sacrificing proper form,going too deep and rounding your back or taking your weight off your heels is an easy way to tweak your lower back.

I never squatted w/ Kettles before. I believe that the center is off from the typical when you let them hang and squat. I didn't drop too low nor was the position unorthodox that I could tell. The workout went smoothly. The injury occurred about 6 hrs later. It could have been the WII.
    Τρωγλοδῦται

It's very hard to tell if your form is perfect by yourself. If you try it again...have someone video you from the side...it might be more revealing than you realised.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Guy View Post
    It's very hard to tell if your form is perfect by yourself. If you try it again...have someone video you from the side...it might be more revealing than you realised.
    This.

I had bad form with KB swings when I first started even though I swore my form was good.I video taped a set and watched it,sure enough the bell was dropping too low and putting pressure on my lower back.I've since corrected that issue and the pain I was getting from swings has vanished.

Right now I am out of commission. Sad.
    Τρωγλοδῦται

Hope you recover soon.