Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help - Need advice re; the amount of fat im including in my diet. page

Rickyg25 is offline Member

Please help - Need advice re; the amount of fat im including in my diet.

Shop Now
    Hi guys -

Please see the attached picture of a calorie assessment and breakdown rom Fitday of the how I ate yesterday. I have been eating primal/Paleo now on and off (mostly on) for about a year now, with good results. However, what concerns me is the level of fat intake. Fitday is telling me that over 50% of my calorie intake yesterday came from fat. Now, granted it was "good fats" from pasture raised eggs, grass feed beef, and wild caught fish. But still, I'd like to hear from some more knowledgable Paleo experts on these boards if the amount of fat I consumed in general (118 grams!) as well as as a % of my daily caloric intake (51%) is normal for paleo/primal eating. What is your ratio? Please see attached pic for details.

By the way if it helps you give advice I am 6'2" tall and 194 lbs. I do a lighter version of a crossfit style workout about 3 days a week.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Rickyg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rickyg25; 01-26-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Bump. Anyone?

peril is offline Senior Member
    51% is within the normal range (50-60%) for primal. You'd know that if you'd read the book. What is your concern?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm usually around 60% fat, 25% protein and 15% carbs or somewhere around there. That's on a day I'm eating the way I should. But it fluctuates a lot and I rarely track it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ib4student is offline Member
    I usually eat 120g of fat. You're in the right range. The image is still pending approval, can you tell us what the carbs and proteins were?
    I'm usually 120g of everything.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I used to do 75% fat, but needed to make changes to increase my protein. 50 to 60 percent is the norm.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Hey thanks for the replies. I never read mark Sissons book. The only book I have read on paleo was Robb Wolf "the paleo solution". That book more or less advocates the same diet as mark albeit slightly more strict on eating the leaner cuts of meats. Robb's book was good but it did not go into what the protein:fat:carb ratio should look like. Which is why I am a little worried bc of how high my fat intake is.

Later on I stumbled onto marks daily apple and I'm still just beginning to get acquainted with it.

Sry the image isn't showing yet. Here is the basic breakdown:

Fat: 118 grams, 51%
    Protein: 149 grams, 30%
    Carbs: 104 grams, 16%

Thanks for the help guys.

ib4student is offline Member
    That's a fantastic ratio. As long as those carbs are from veggies and some low glycemic load fruit :P
    If you want to improve, just upgrade whatever you're currently doing to organic grass-fed, etc. and throw some offal and such in there.

Yes. The carbs came from organic veggies and fruits like berries and an apple. Thanks so much that
    Ames me feel better to know that I'm doin it right. Even with all of the reading I have done and the research and watching flics like fathead, and even though I understand and agree with all of this wisdom being imparted to me, I can still hear that voice in the back of my head telling me that all this fat I'm eating is going to make me keel over from a heart attack. I guess it's just how I've been conditioned to think about fat for most of my life.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    That actually looks really good!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast