Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone binge on 'good' carbs? page

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member

Anyone binge on 'good' carbs?

Earlier today I was ruminating over the comment by Dr Eades that a person can't binge on fat (pork chops, butter etc.) but has no problem doing so on sweets, crisps, etc. due to the body being able to suddenly suppress the appetite for fat once it's had enough, but not so with carbs.

Has anyone actually binged on carb-heavy good foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes and other starchy whole foods?

Because when I've binged, it's been on chocolate or the aforementioned crisps...but when those potatoes are steamed or boiled - not turned into crisps, in other words - I don't binge on them and can easily stop when I've had enough.

Bread or crackers on the other hand...

paleo pika is offline Member
    I don't know that I've ever binged on fat/protein, like you say I tend to feel full and want to stop after a while. Starchy veg though I can and absolutely have binged on...particularly potatoes. I could eat so many mashed potatoes it's not even funny.

paleo pika is offline Member
    Oh also sweet potato fries. Yuuuuum.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Define binge.

I do a carb refeed on safe starch following a workout but I don't consider it a binge.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    On the first couple of days of my period, yeah, I can binge on my husband's home made hash browns.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I can eat an entire pint of blueberries at a sitting if I have them alone... is that a binge, or should I have simply chosen to eat a variety of foods instead of a single source that is sweeter/carbier? When I eat my berries with good fatty yogurt I eat much less. That said I have, on a few occasions, simply had a pint of berries for dinner... I figure it can't be THAT bad for me. LOL

Potatoes are not a problem as I never eat them without a generous portion of protein with fat... it's very limiting. And I find them to be bland/boring alone. Sweet potatoes are the same though they are sweeter... they need a counterpoint flavor to make them appealing to me for more than a few bites.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-26-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Dried fruit is a trap. Yeah its healthier than candy but there is a LOT of sugars concentrated in there, and since theyre isnt a lot of water weight its more palatable. Also honey, i adore honey, especially now that ive been getting ultra-local, raw honeys. I have to work to only allow myself to have small portions of it in coffee/tea and then lick the spoon
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I can binge on meat. I had 5 pieces of prime rib at the company Christmas party. I could probably eat a half a turkey. I know I can eat a half a chicken, a big one. But binge on sweet potatoes? Definitely not.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

patski is offline Senior Member
    When I still smoked pot, I binged on dried fruit, grapes, cherries. BRUTAL! Consuming A LOT of cherries will send you running to the toilet to evacuate!

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Hell yeah, I have my binge moments, like yellow potato/bacon bits combo....or dried dates mashed up and rolled through coconut flakes, and don't get me started on the local fruits from farmer's markets during summer season...gah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast