Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts Shoes page

wrinkledamanda is offline Junior Member

Martial Arts Shoes

Primal Fuel
    Amazon.com: Feiyue Martial Arts Shoes: The Martial Arts Store

I have been wanting some barefoot shoes, but don't want to spend a million dollars on them. The last time I did, I ordered and returned 3 pairs of vibram fivefingers because I couldn't find the right size, and decided my feet are too fat for them right now. Anyway, I found these martial arts shoes on Amazon, and based on a couple of reviews it looks like some people are using them as barefoot shoes. What do you guys think? Do they appear to be sufficient substitutes?

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    In addition to having a flexible sole and little to no heel lift - minimalist shoes should enable you to spread your toes fully. I think that's the most important part. You are likely better off going shopping and finding something that fits. JMO

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Haha, I got those shoes when I was experimenting with barefooting last year. Yeah, they're not bad, and appear to have a neutral heel and all. My only gripe is that I wish the toe box was wider. I have wide feet, and barefooting lets your toes spread out.

Oh, if you do get them -- they reek of petrol when you open the box. Might want to air them out a bit before wearing them around.

If I remember right, I wore them around town and even went running in them.

The main reason I stopped using them is that I realized that I should transition to a neutral heel more slowly. I wore prescription orthotics for a long time, and the heel cup + the heel rise of my shoes was the equivalent of wearing high heels every day, and shortened my achilles. After talking to a Chi Running guy, I switched from these to a New Balance shoe that had a 5mm heel lift, which helped me gradually loosen up my achilles. Now I do a lot of stuff in Vibrams.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    They're not too bad. Slowcooker is right, you're not going to get as much toe spread as you will with a "real" barefoot shoe, but they're much better in comparison to mainstream shoes. So I guess it depends on how hard-core you want to be about the barefoot thing. What size do you need? I have a pair of size 9's I'm not using...

GrokinOut is offline Member
    I use Merrell's barefoot shoes because I have large feet (size 15) and they aren't skinny either. Merrell's shoes fit great, feel awesome, and are very high quality...There definitely going to be my go to company for minimalist shoes until other companies step up their game and offerings to those of us with big feet.

GrokinOut!!!

Starting weight: 498
    Starting BF%: 43%
    Current weight: 490
    Goal: 230 @ 10% BF (preferably less)

Follow my progress here:
    My Primal Journal...aka The Big One

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've got 2 pairs of the Stems. They are great.
    Andrew mentioned coming out with an all black pair in March.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ordering shoes online is great IF you have been into a store and tried on the brand and style before the online purchase.

Really. Go to a place that sells the VFFs, Merrells, STEMs... whatever. And try them on. Then go home and order them to save some money.
    Doing this is the only way I know that some styles of VFFs I can wear in womens 41, and others I HAVE to wear in a mens size 40. The VFF mens sizes are wider!

Good luck.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

HavMom is offline Junior Member
    I bought the Feiyue shoes off Amazon. I don't think they are that minimal and the toe box is definitely too small, and I don't have wide feet. They are also cheaply made (of course, they are cheap!). If you want a minimal Martial Art shoe, I much prefer Pine Tree brand and they are leather. Neither feels as comfortable as my VFF, but it's cold here in NW Indiana now! You must try VFF on though, as the styles are not consistent in size!

wrinkledamanda is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all your comments, guys. I think you're all right about getting real minimalist shoes that will let me spread my toes. I'll wait until I find a store that sells minimalist shoes and try them on to find the right size and fit, then buy the shoes online. I love the glove on your foot look of vibrams - how eccentrically cool! - but those ones I bought off the website without first trying on are way too restrictive on my toes and the tops of my feet for right now.

And thanks for the offer, Danielle5690, although my feet are definitely bigger than a size 9! lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast