Thread: Beef Sausage? page

wrinkledamanda is offline Junior Member

Beef Sausage?

Shop Now
    Hey guys, I just had a quick question about making my own sausage. Using the recipes that Mark posted a while ago on how to make your own sausage, could I potentially substitute ground beef for ground pork?

Also, another huge question is, is it ok for a newbie on Primal Blueprint to consume copious amounts of pork? Like, is it conducive to weight loss? I love sausage, and the recipes that Mark posted to make your own seem really quick and easy. If pork is good for me, I would like to work the homemade sausage into about 2/3 meals a day. That's why I had the question about beef, because I know it's good. And why I thought this thread should go in the nutrition section. haha
    Last edited by wrinkledamanda; 01-26-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Oops! Sorry double post.

otzi Guest
    You are good to go as far as using beef in the sausage, although I think people like the milder flavor of pork when eating sausages. As far as eating pork--no problem! It's better than eating macaroni and cheese for dinner!

Best meat to eat is wild game, then grass fed beef, then organic pork, then pastured chicken, then all others. I may have left a few out, such as hippopontamus, but you get my drift...

As far as eating sausages 2-3 times a day, it should be fine as long as you don't load them with MSG or nitrates/nitrites. Just use meat, fat, spices and you could eat that every day. Throw in some liver and you'd be golden!

Awesome! Thank you! And I'm not sure I'll be eating hippopotamus anytime soon, so I'm good on that, lol.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    To make sausage, I think you need a sausage grinder. Do you have one? Is it the old-fashioned kind that you bolt on to your counter and turn a crank?

It's good to mix the pork with the beef and also lamb is good in there, too. I recently bought some lamb sausage with mint and onions. It was great.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

I don't actually have a grinder, but at my local meat place, they sell 10 lb bags of ground pork butt. Will that also work? I thought i could knead the spices into the pork that way, and then form them into patties.

I was actually thinking of mixing the pork and beef. I Loooove lamb meat, too. I'd have to get a grinder for that, though. The mint and onions sounds amazing.

I don't see why that wouldn't work. That's basically the stuff I buy. Sausage without the casings.

Nice. I get off work in like 5 minutes so I'll go get some sausage makin stuff! I'm so excited. I want to do the LR Rx. I could still eat tons of sausage on that, too, right? I'd like to keep my diet to less than 25g carbs, so I'm racking my brain trying to think of simple, easy, and cheap ways to fix meat.

OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS!!! I just got a 10 lb bag of beef since they didn't have any pork butt at my butcher's, and cooked up the best burger/beef sausage (lol it didn't occur to me earlier that beef sausage would pretty much just be a burger) that I have ever eaten in my life! I got 1 1/2 - 2 lbs in a bowl, dumped some black pepper, a few dashes of salt, some parsley, green onion, garlic, feta cheese, and red wine vinegar into the bowl with it, mashed and kneaded it all up and fried it, then halved it (there's no way I'd be able to eat THAT much meat!) and put two over easy eggs on top. I broke the yolks and dug in.

The red wine vinegar really brings out a succulent flavor of the meat, and the feta cheese is just delicious. The yolks add a different texture, and it is soooo divine! I could see myself eating this often.

Sounds delicious. I will have to get some ground beef and make stuff like that.