Thread: Severe Headaches and can't get enough good carbs. page

vicklon is offline Junior Member

Severe Headaches and can't get enough good carbs.

Shop Now
    Since I started this a week and a half ago I am having horrible headaches. I am staying right around 50(g) of carbs a day. I can't seem to get enough good carbs...I think this is the reason for the headaches...any suggestions. I am trying to lose some weight so i'm limiting fruit to one a day.

dancermom09 is offline Member
    Try some electrolytes. Sugar free, of course.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    It's hard to help without more information. That's a fairly low amount of carbs, you might want to add in more veggies. I get bad headaches when I get too hungry... I'm so used to the blood sugar crash being my signal to eat that I have to learn what real hunger feels like. I don't always notice it until I have a nasty headache. Maybe you're not eating enough?

activia is offline Senior Member
    What kind of headache do you have? Sometimes I get sinus headaches from dairy. (when I was eating a lot of yogurt)

I also sometimes get a headache if I'm really hungry. Red meat always helps me.

for carbs: add some carrots, parsnips or other root vegetables. Spaghetti squash/butternut squash/sweet potatoes.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

vicklon is offline Junior Member
    I am not eating any dairy. The headaches come on even right after I have eaten or when I havent' eaten. I had lunch at 1 of chicken breast wrapped in bacon w/ green chili's and mashed cauliflower and just had to take some Ibuprofen to keep working. Feels like my whole head is aching. Gotta figure this out to continue. Also major hot flashes after eating like my body is burning up the food! Been staying at about 1200 calories per day. I am not very active and have a desk job.

activia is offline Senior Member
    try eating more fat and more carbs. How long have you been doing PB? You could be experience carb flu. The best way to make the transition easier would be to add more good carbs in if you can't take the pain...and lower then slower.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Eat more carbs - eating low carb is not fundamental to eating primally.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Bone broth.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    No pun intended, but I feel your pain. I too had this happen during my first couple weeks of primal. Having been a lifetime sufferer of migraines, these headaches were dismaying. Made me feel like maybe I was going down the wrong path.

However, it got better! So stay positive and take this opportunity to listen to your body. For me, instead of side-of-the-head migraines, these I experienced were top-of-the-head/spreading to all over pressure headaches. Very different.

So yes, I vote that you:

-not be too aggressive w/ the lo-carb. You can lose the weight just as well w/ higher carbs. But easing yourself into this life choice w/o headaches would be the goal, right? I stayed near or below 100 carb until I got rid of the headaches and then played with the 50 carb number later. It really seemed that the headaches came in conjunction w/ Carb flu

-absolutely eat more protein and take a nap when you can. I leaned on caffeine pretty heavily during this phase, to ease the symptoms. Poor womans Advil!