Thread: This Should Be Interesting! page

Griffin is offline Senior Member

This Should Be Interesting!

Primal Fuel
    I had a bi-annual medical two weeks ago and my doctor ordered a blood profile, EKG (for baseline purposes) and urinalysis. I finally got around to getting the tests last Friday. On Monday, the Doctor's office called to book an appointment because of my cholesterol results. My doctor's asked me to bring any literature about this diet (i.e. the Primal Blueprint) that I am on.

I've since got my 21-Day Transformation book back from a friend and I've printed off a few of Mark's blog entries.

It should be an interesting appointment tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you all know how it goes.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Amazing! Definitely keep us updated!

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Amazing! Definitely keep us updated!
    +1

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Did he want to call you in because the results were bad or because they were good?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Did he want to call you in because the results were bad or because they were good?
    Honestly, I have no idea. I spoke with a receptionist and she couldn't say one way or the other. I think this conversation is going to go to either of one of two extremes. I've never heard of a doctor calling you in to tell you good news though.

I'm not concerned but I don't want to have to defend my choice to him. If need be, I'll ask for more advanced tests. I like being primal (as I have been) and I don't want to have to make too many adjustment to it. I'll have to wait and see until tomorrow though.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Do not let him prescribe statins. Reducing serum cholesterol levels has not been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease. Elevated serum cholesterol levels are not predictive of heart disease. But you probably already know that. Mike Eades has a recent blog entry about statins. The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Statins and diabetes

Don't let the doctor push you around. You are in charge of your own health, and have proven yourself competent to do so by adopting a species-appropriate diet. Remember that.

Of course, he could want to see you to express his amazement at your awesome lab results, and glean some insight on how you did it. You never know. There are some doctors out there who are open to learning how misguided the lipid hypothesis is. Hopefully, yours is one of them.

As I suspected, the results weren't great:

Total Cholesterol: 267 mg/dL
    HDL: 46 mg/dL
    LDL: 193.5 mg/dL
    HDL/LDL Ratio: .238
    Triglycerides: 139 mg/dL

It looks like I have to curb my fat intake a bit and increase my veggie intake. Any thoughts?