Thread: Superfoods page

phildrolet is offline Member

Superfoods

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys!

Hope you’re doing well..

I’ve recently wrote a new post on my blog entitled 10 Superfoods for Better Health, Fast Weight-Loss & Increased energy and I’d like to have you guys’ feedback.

10 Foods for Better Health, Fast Weight Loss, and Increased Energy | TheFeelGoodLifestyle.com

Specifically, I want to know..

What do you think of “superfoods”?

Are you currently eating them?

If not, why not?

It’s a topic I’m passionate about and I really just want your honest opinion so I understand how others think about this topic.

Thanks a lot guys!

Phil

MMMM FAT is offline Senior Member

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    You definitely brought some new foods to my attention. I eat less than half of these things. But, I can't stand tea in general, so that leaves one out...
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i don't buy into the superfood hype. 'specially not chia seeds. and i'll throw up if i see anything else about goji berries (aka the acai of 2012).

phildrolet is offline Member
    Jakey why don't you believe in chia seeds? Great source of omega 3, unreal source of fiber, has some protein.. and like I mention in the article it's used as a main energy source by the best super-long distance runners in the world.. I think they're on to something.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Why isn't kale on the list? Quinoa is too high in carbs --- especially for those of us who don't work out much. I'll add sweet potatoes back in in a couple months.

I eat the coconut oil. The raw cacao sounds interesting... may have to look for that.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    the kind of omega 3 in chia seeds is barely biologically available to humans. ALA is not the long chain stuff we're after. they're an incomplete protein too, i wouldn't think of the as a protein source. i'm not into super long-distance running, at all, but if it works for them, keep pumpin it!

by the way, you like great. keep eating whatever foods you've been eating.

Liam is offline Member
    I think the term is both misleading and counter productive to achieving good health. It feeds right into the "I can make up for all my crappy choices by munching a few magic berries" mentality. I know because I pre-primal I had this mentality.
    The label superfoods encourages a 20% Primal, 80% CW diet instead of the other way round.

Mouse is offline Member
    I'm not into the "super foods" concept. While I certainly believe that some foods are better than others (and certain foods are definitely great sources of antioxidants or other great things), I find the general idea to be too close to the "take a pill and keep eating garbage" concept of the U.S. It's too easy to think "well, I had some kale and blueberries today, so that balances out the slice of chocolate cake."

I try to eat good food all-around, and if some of it happens to be on someone's superfood list, then so be it.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    So.
    You enthuse about "fat free" sweet potato methods, are very keen on fibre, want to add seeds to your cereal/oatmeal, mix your quinoa with lentils...

Uh huh.
    Hope your website benefits from the extra hits but I call BS.