Thread: Mixed Bag of Questions page

lexie is offline Senior Member

Mixed Bag of Questions

Newbie here with some questions I hope you all can answer.

1) I'm very fair (think Snow White - dark hair, light skin, pink cheeks, etc.) and I've always burned in the sun. I've been reading more on helping my body adjust to the sun with certain foods and things. For lycopene, would tomato juice be a good choice in upping my lycopene intake? I know that juice is not the best to have, but as this is vegetable juice rather than fruit, I thought I'd run it by the group. While I like tomatoes, I'm not always in the mood to eat them every day. I could drink a glass of tomato juice with breakfast, though. Good idea or find another way to get more lycopene?

2) I live in a fairly cloudy city. During the winter, we see very little sun. I also work in an office. I'm sure my vitamin D levels are shot to hell. Should I buy one of those sun light therapy lamps? Do they help your body produce vitamin D, or do they merely make you feel like you're in the sun? Any effect on skin cancer risks? Basically, is this something worthwhile to research and purchase, or is it a waste of money? Would this help combat burning?

3) I've seen some statements that cooking cruciferous vegetables removes the issue for those with thyroid problems. Others say, even if cooked, you should still avoid. Any definitive word on this?

Thanks in advance!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    grapefruit has a lot of lycopene in it. watermelon does too, and guava.

not sure about the lamps or the veggies

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I think you'd have an easier time supplementing Vitamin D3, not to mention I'm sure it's cheaper. Look for a dropper form (check the ingredients to make sure it's not soy based) and start supplementing with 10,000 IU per day for at least a month. You might want to get your blood levels checked for a reference point though. I haven't had mine checked since last summer, but they were 23 at the time, and they should be closer to at least 70 in the summer, I think. I feel a lot better since increasing the dose. I used to get gloomy on cloudy days and had Seasonal Affective Disorder, now I don't notice the poor weather or cloudy skies, and I haven't gotten any Winter blues
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I love fruit, but I'm trying not too eat too much of it. Grapefruits are at least sour, which keeps me from eating too much. Maybe I'll start adding half a grapefruit to some of my breakfasts. I used to smother them in brown sugar and butter - wonder if they're good warmed with just butter?

For Vitamin D, I do already take the fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend. Should I just up my dosage of that or just go for D3? I do plan on getting my levels checked, but as a fair skinned sun-avoider for many years, I know I'm low and need to be proactive.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Upping my D3 and eating primally has made a huge difference for me in the sun. I used to burn so easily and turn day glow red and get very sick (blonde hair, blue eyes). Now I only use sun block if I will be in the sun for hours. I hardly every burn now. If you feel depressed woth the shortened days, the light may help, but I agree that upping D3 is the cheapest and easiest option. Make sure you have vit A and K2 also for max benefit.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm very fair-skinned as well (German and Irish descent) and you really can build up a tolerance to the sun. I'm out in it literally all day (Southern Nevada) and I don't wear sunscreen anymore. You just have to build up to it slowly, maybe even starting in the winter when the sun isn't so intense. It will definitely be harder if you're someplace where it's rarely sunny though.

I'll still burn if I wear something like a bikini, but only on the parts that are usually covered while I'm working.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    3) I've seen some statements that cooking cruciferous vegetables removes the issue for those with thyroid problems. Others say, even if cooked, you should still avoid. Any definitive word on this?
    Cook them with iodized salt. Iodine stimulates thyroid hormone production.
    But If you eat plenty of fish, eggs, seaweed (I buy nori sheets and munch on them) and other sources of iodine, then it's OK to have these vegetables without iodized salt.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.